Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snow Days

Shy

Snow Days

Just out of curiousty. If you are within the walking distance for your school, do you take dc kids to school on snow days? I am just thinking ahead, but if parents can drive them to my house for a snow day, shouldn't I still be able to walk them to school as usual?

Euphoric !
    Depends on the amount of snow on the roads you would need to use, the type of weather as in temperature, risk that snow would be too deep or weather too bad to return to the school to get them. Besides parents have to pay for a full day if you keep them for the full day so making an extra $20 a day sure beats taking the gang out in the blizzard twice to take them and pick them up.

Starting to feel at home...
    I am confused! If it is a snow day isn't the school closed? Do you mean if the buses are cancelled? Here the buses get cancelled often, but the school rarely closes!

Shy
    Same here DaycareLuLu, the busses get cancelled but schools are very, very rarely closed.

Good point playfelt! I could probablly get them there (two blocks away), but why drag everyone else out in slippery / deep snow conditions. I'm guessing a stroller wouldn't actually make it!

Starting to feel at home...
    Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't. I have walked to school in several snowstorms with the kids. Taking out the sleighs and making it fun, however it takes about double the time. But, at times, I have informed the parents I would not be able to make it. In this case, I allow the parents to chose if they want to make alternative plans or if they stay with me for a snow day. I found when my d/c kids were in pre-k and k, it was easier to just keep them here, but now being in 1-2 grade, we can not easily justify them missing a day of school!

Euphoric !
    With so many kids bussed to school these days if the busses are not running then the actual attendance at school is limited. Therefore there is a lot of playing and review going on and nothing new since there is no point in the teacher having to review it the next day anyways for those not there. A lot of work to get kids to school to play 7-up or run around the gym all day.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMamma View Post
    Just out of curiousty. If you are within the walking distance for your school, do you take dc kids to school on snow days? I am just thinking ahead, but if parents can drive them to my house for a snow day, shouldn't I still be able to walk them to school as usual?
    I have it in my contract that if it is a snow day the kids will not be accepted into care and the parents still have to pay for it. I came up with this back a few years ago when our city got slammed with snow. The mayor even addressed the city and asked that businesses close and people stay off the roads. And you know what????? EVERY freaking kid came to care while the parents were OFF. Yeah, so it was too dangerous for adults to drive to work but they risked the lives of their kids to put them in the car and drive to daycare???????

Nope, now I have a policy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post: