Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Shy
    I have a set pattern that they learn and accept...if they are here for breakfast, OJ but watered down; snack is water as we always have fruit; milk at lunch; water available in sippy cups all day, inside and out; and juice after school but watered down. In summer I encourage watery fruits like watermelon, cucumbers etc to add fluids...

Euphoric !
    I have never understood the sudden complaints about juice either. A glass of orange juice for morning snack to ensure the extra vitaminC would go a long way to some of the health issues we are experiencing this month. Like any food - moderation. One serving of juice a day is not wrong - to replace all drinks with juice is a different matter. Fruit is naturally high in sugar and hence so is juice. Many young children will not eat the equivalent amount of a variety of fruits and juice can provide a good supplement. Juice does not make children obese. Eating too much period does.

I also find when kids wake from afternoon nap and especially in the summer that their blood sugar is low and they are dehydrated since it has been about 3 hours with no liquids and a quick small drink of juice brings everyone back into reality. Then we can settle to have our snack of fruit and cheese and crackers or whatever.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Water is available all day and they have milk with meals. I don't serve juice. I have had a few clients who didn't drink much at all in general so I've had to work with the parents to increase their liquid consumption but I've never had a child refuse water before.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFeet View Post
    I have a sippy cup/spill-less straw cups for each child with their name on it that is full of water and I leave it out for them all day. I find they drink quite a bit as they play.
    Same here plus my kids drink 2 to 3 sippy cups of water each almost everyday, plus chocolate milk before quite time (the older kids 3 +) only if they eat all there lunch. I seriously don't put a lot of chocolate in there milk just enough to give it flavour. PLUS juice with there lunch!
    Last edited by Skysue; 05-03-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Shy
    I serve water with morning snack, Lunch and afternoon snack. I also keep the sippy cups in a bin that the children can help themselves to when they need to. I only serve my children 2oz of milk after they have finished eating their lunch. and I rarely serve juice and when I do, I put 3/4 water and 1/4 juice. I would definitely not give in to what the child wants in this case. If a child is thirsty he will drink, and they get a lot of water from their food as well. When we come in from outdoor play I also have all the kids sit down and drink water. They are all getting used to it now, and drinking well over 8 oz while in my care.

Starting to feel at home...
    We have water for AM snack, milk for lunch and water again in the afternoon. If anyone wants a drink in between it's water. About 1-2 snacks a week we have juice, watered down 50/50.

I don't think there's anything wrong with juice in moderation either, but almost all the kiddies I have drink LOTS of juice at home so I try and help them develop a taste for water here. All the kids love milk as well but since only 2 servings of dairy a day are recommended, I only offer 1 cup of milk as we also eat cheese and yogurt regularly.

I give water at snacks. Due to bowel problems for two of my children they "have" to drink as much water as possible. I have them drink app. 4 ounces in the morn. Milk for lunch. For the bowel problem children - 4 ounes of milk. Others can have up to 8 ounces. I feel 8 ounces is a lot but they "have" to eat everything in order to get more than 4 ounces of milk. 4 ounces of water for aft. snack. They can always have more water and some do. I have a water machine so the older ones are learning how to use it. No juice, and I tell all my parents I serve no juice.

Shy
    I serve mostly water. It's always available. If someone isn't drinking I remind them, and will pull them out of something to have a few sips. I flavor it with fruit, too. Or I'll make fruit cubes and put those in.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SLD For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    We don't have juice at all. I have water available for the children all day long.

My husband and I have started juicing for breakfast and lunch. The difference between real juice and store bought juice is extreme. After actually seeing the difference I will never ever buy juice again.

Most store bought juice has very little nutrition and a lot of sugar. Why not provide lots of fresh fruit and veggies and water? Also, you save money as water is free :-)

Love the idea of putting fruit in the water for some extra flavour! Muddle it a bit like a mojito!

Kids will learn to drink and enjoy what is offered. And they rarely will dehydrate themselves, just as with food, if they are hungry or thirsty, they will eat and drink.

I only provide water. Parents can provide milk if they want to. I only give the milk after lunch so the child will not fill up on milk. I serve other dairy at every snack or lunch, such as yogurts and cheese, so there is lots of dairy on the menu.

Unless your dcb is having constipation issues, I would not worry about him drinking. He's just trying to test you to see if he can get his way. When he realizes he won't get juice, he will realize how thirsty he is for some nice cold water.