Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Outgoing

How to get them to drink water

Hey, I have two kids who have recently started to refuse their water at snacks and lunch. I only serve water at morning snack and lunch, and then milk at afternoon snack. If they want more after they finish their milk, they get water. So, today, one child did not drink the entire day. I gave him his water at afternoon snack to see if he would drink it, he did not. Then I gave him a small bit of milk in a cup, and he didn't drink it either. However, once I removed him from his chair, he started to cry.
    I am not going to offer juice as an alternative. I know they are refusing water at home, and I think they get milk or juice instead.
    Should I give in and give them milk, or should I enforce my rules? Also, should I give them milk at afternoon snack, or stick to water only until they start drinking it again? I just don't want them holding out until afternoon snack to get the milk...kwim?

I put Fresh fruit at the bottom of my water piture (sp) IE lemon, watermellon, honeydew barries of any type....yummy! we are love it
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 02-27-2013 at 03:01 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dodge__driver11 For This Useful Post:

I actually only serve water, all day! I started out serving juice @ snack and milk at lunches...then cut out the juice (they were filling up in it)...then just milk@ lunch. I was throwing so much milk out at lunch I decided to just go with water; they get a very well rounded, healthy variety of foods in their day that more than make up for it. I am very up front in interview about this as well. Lots less dishes to wash as well! Keep in mind that they are getting liquids from their food as well. I would not let it bother you too much if they don't drink tons of water. IMO if you are getting at least 4 wet diapers in a day, they are hydrated.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    I too use fresh fruit to flavour the water. I myself cannot stomach 'plain water' for some reason so adding a little hint of something helps me get it down.

Euphoric !
    Fresh fruit in the water is an awesome idea, thanks ladies! I'm doing that to see if it works. I serve a splash of juice in their sippy cups and fill it up with water so I'm just flavouring their water. Same difference if you buy the nutritious fresh pressed juice.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a sippy cup/spill-less straw cups for each child with their name on it that is full of water and I leave it out for them all day. I find they drink quite a bit as they play.
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BrightEyes For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I only serve water

Outgoing
    I give juice, but they get one juice and when that's done it's just water. That being said I mix my juice- 1 part juice to 3 parts water.

Starting to feel at home...
    I put ice in there clear sippies they love how cold it is and shake the cups which keeps them interested....great for teething too

Expansive...
    I only do water also and am glad to read I am not the only one.

I started off offering apple juice, water or milk.

Then last year I eliminated the juice and told parents that there would no longer be juice available. I felt it was bad for them since my own child ended up with cavities.

So now we do water and milk and I would not offer more than 1 cup of milk a day. The reason being that they probably had milk with breakfast or dinner plus you are likely sering some calcium during the day i.e cheese cubes or yogurt so they don't need constant calcium. Too much calcium and dairy can make them constipated.

So most days I now offer water only.

Sometimes when I try to offer milk they gulp it and ask for another and another and refuse water too.

Honestly - going to water only for anyone over 18 months has been great and made them eat better too.