Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Help with discussing things with parents

Hi All,

I have a question for all you experienced home daycare providers. How do you stay professional when confronting issues with parents? I find any time I need to address something with a parent it often turns into more than a big deal than necessary. Today I reminded a parent that they must bring their child in a clean diaper, there were multiple times they were dropped off with a poopy bum. The first few times I let slide, but today reminded them of the policy. I can tell the parent was upset about the reminder and am now trying to figure out how to handle this with the least amount of problems at pick-up. They are a great family, but I am trying to stick to my policies.

Thanks again!

Euphoric !
    I guess I would wonder as the parent about the policy. What if the kid poops in the car?

apples and bananas
    That's a tough one. They were probably embarrased. Did they give any reasons why? Do they show up and appologize at least? I can't imagion a parent knowlingly leaving the house with a poopy diaper and not changing it.

This probably isn't something I'd address. I may just chalk it up to poor parenting... too busy in the morning to change a diaper... However, I can't imagion.

I think you need to identify the reason why they drop him off like that first and then offer solutions. If he's pooping in the car... well... what do ya do? Kids sometimes poop at the same time each day. If the parents are walking away without telling you he's pooped, maybe they don't know. Maybe a quick smell from you before the parent leaves in the am and then make a comment about it might make them more honest about it.

I have a little one that poops every day within 10 min of mom leaving. UGH! But a large part of my job is dealing with poop... in more ways then one! So, I just deal with it.

In gereral, if I need to address a policy issue with a client I will more then likely do it over email. It's a written form so I know they have recieved it. I don't like to address policy issues in the door way with a child. Sometimes it can get off track and miss the point.

If I need to address it again, I send home a letter. And if severe enough the 3rd time is final notice.

Outgoing
    I have a family who was always dropping her son off poopy every morning...but...she was also leaving him in his diaper from the night before. She literally took him out of bed and brought him pj's dirty diaper and all. She would tell me he must have just pooped in the car but it was so stuck to him that I had to actually 'scrub' to get it off him...that didn't just happen in the car! They are gone now but I made her change him in the hallway before leaving whenever it happened after that because I knew he was not pooping on the way here she was just being lazy.

Now, if he legit pooped on the way then hey I have no problem changing him. Lazy parenting I won't tolerate though!

At this stage we can all tell if it's a case of a fresh diaper that's been pooped in...just wanted to clarify that, is it a case of that? I too have a little guy that loves to poop in the car (or within 5 min. of arrival). I know parents are in a rush, I don't mind. But if it's an ongoing case of old diaper...that's just lazy and rude.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks for all the feedback. The parents chalked it up to happening on the drive over. They haven't given me any reason to not trust them in the past, so I'll take their word for it and leave well enough alone. Hopefully this gentle reminder will prevent it from happening in the future. Although, I can tell the one parent is upset based on the email response I received. Hopefully the emotion goes away and we can move forward in a positive way, like we have been for months now.