Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks for all the comments. Just to clarify, this has nothing to do with me not paying attention and not supervising. This child was sleeping with a monitor on however when they woke up and started unclothing, there was very little noise made (sounded like regular tossing turning). Moral of the story is that a little appreciation goes a long way...at least for me!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mambia For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    I would be a little turned off too if the parents didn't at least show some remorse. I understand that the parents have nothing to do with it, but its just nice to recognize the fact that we have to deal with the clean up, the bathing (which I agree with if the other children are still sleeping) and the after smell that goes along with it.

I have had children come in sleep sacs, but I hate them. I don't bother most of the time as they often don't need them past a year. I found it actually restricted one child from sleeping properly as he couldn't move freely and he was mover when he slept.

I had an incident just like this, minus the sleep sac. I had the monitor on and was listening. The only reason I went up was because I heard "uh oh" loud and clear. I put all of the poopy clothes in a bag for mom and I was able to bath him quickly, but I had to wait until daycare was over to clean the playpen as it's upstairs. Mom was appologetic and thanked me for doing it and not disrupting her at work.

I think poop is part of the job. I just clean it up and move on.

Hopefully something really positive happens with this family soon and you get that good feeling back about them. Sometimes we can't help how we feel.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambia View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. Just to clarify, this has nothing to do with me not paying attention and not supervising. This child was sleeping with a monitor on however when they woke up and started unclothing, there was very little noise made (sounded like regular tossing turning). Moral of the story is that a little appreciation goes a long way...at least for me!
    Ok, I have to admit, that's what I was wondering about. He's a sneaky little devil then! If it were me I would be on this little guy the second I heard the tossing and turning from now on. Putting the diaper and onesie and clothing on tight is a good idea but all this straightjacket type talk scares me!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    I would be a little turned off too if the parents didn't at least show some remorse. I understand that the parents have nothing to do with it, but its just nice to recognize the fact that we have to deal with the clean up, the bathing (which I agree with if the other children are still sleeping) and the after smell that goes along with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    I think poop is part of the job. I just clean it up and move on.
    This is completely contradictory....If poop is part of the job and something we are suppose to just deal with and move on, then why do the parents have to show any kind of remorse or recognize that you had to deal with it?

Of course we HAVE to deal with it. It IS part of the job.

I don't expect my parents to show remorse and recognize that I do anything job related. That is exactly the services they pay for.

apples and bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyP View Post
    This is completely contradictory....If poop is part of the job and something we are suppose to just deal with and move on, then why do the parents have to show any kind of remorse or recognize that you had to deal with it?

Of course we HAVE to deal with it. It IS part of the job.

I don't expect my parents to show remorse and recognize that I do anything job related. That is exactly the services they pay for.
    I don't think its contradictory. I think by saying sorry or at least showing in their body language that it was a hassle to deal with it makes us feel like we're appreciated for doing it. And it is part of the job. Making crafts are part of the job too, but it's nice when a client says thank you. Taking children outside daily is part of our job, but its nice when parents recognize that we put 5 snow suits on 5 small children and pulled them on the sled.

It's nice to be recognized for things even when it is our job.

I agree with Apples and bananas!
    Poop sucks...! for parents or for us!
    When My son does something like this, i'm upset... I clean it up and it feels great when my husband comes back from work and say : hey, thank you for cleaning it up!

I think it's the same thing for parents in a dayhome/daycare context... Yes it sucks, we do clean it up.... but a little appreciation for what we do feels great!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mlle.coccinelle For This Useful Post:

Agree 110%!!!! Obviously changing dirty diapers is part of the job as is everything else we do as caregivers on a regular basis. The reality is that it's always nice to be appreciated, whether the recipient means it or not, hearing that "thank you" after a really stressful day can actually lift your spirits and give you that boost that we often need. I know myself as a mom to 2 young children, I have enough stress of my own juggling the kids and house chores so trust me, when someone spits out a thank you here and there for doing something "out of the norm" it goes a long way. I didn't intend on my thread to pick people to pieces whether they contradicted something in their post or not. I personally enjoy reading feedback from fellow providers and honestly, visit here daily for sense of sanity most days and for a huge "pick me upper" as clearly I am not the only one who has to deal with certain issues and this is a wonderful portal for fellow support!

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    but all this straightjacket type talk scares me!:
    Did I miss something in the post? "Straight jacket talk"? If you're referring to the one piece pjs on backwards...you should watch the video...in no way is it restraint in any way other than the zipper closure is in the back to prevent 'diaper diving'. This post is ironic as I had my first incident of this today @ nap-time. My tiny 2 yr old DC girl is absolutely my 'sensory kid'...messiest eater & player...not surprised really; today was first time not wearing onesie, tights, multiple layers...and she poops EVERY nap-time... didn't even think about the possibility of her doing that. Pjs on backwards for her going forward! I just thank goodness she's contained in a playpen...I will be doing some major sterilizing tonight!
    Last edited by Dreamalittledream; 03-05-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Ok Dream, I'll take your word for it. I can't watch any videos on my ancient computer and I thought it sounded like you would be really restraining the children, but my mistake!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    I don't know that I "expect" a thank you.... but it sure is nice to get one!!
    Not for every diaper change, but for a total crap-tastrophe, yes.