Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Diaper explosion

One of my dck (18mths) decided to remove his sleeping sack, pants, and diaper when I put him down for a nap and pooped right onto the sheets in his playpen which is also in my babies room. To make matters worse, he thought it would be fun to play with the poop by dipping his hands and feet into it and smearring it all over the playpen, the wall that it sits behind and even dropped some on the carpet. Cute I know!!!! Trust me, he is no longer my favourite. I was so ticked off because the only reason this even happened is because he learned to remove the sack which I told his mom on numerous occasions that he slips it off so what's the point of e en wearing it for naps. Arghhh. Just when I thought this was bad, dearest mommy couldn't even thank me for bathing her kid from the disaster nor apologizing for the explosion her angel caused to my child's belongings and room. Some parents are just so ungrateful. Since this occurrence, sadly I no longer care for this family the way I did before. Thought they were and would be more appreciative.

Eeeewwww. Poor you! Daycare whisperer had a great video advice on this...to put a sleeper on them backwards for naps. They cannot get them/or diaper off this way.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    I would never bathe a dck .... And I would have called the parent to come and pick up their angel and I would ask them to make sure he is in a onesie every day and I would put the naptime diaper on backwards

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree with Caryola. I do not bathe the children, I clean up their bodies with their wipes, put all clothing including poop into a bag and give it to the parents and call them for immediate pickup. It's bad enough you have to disinfect your entire room by the sound of it. This child will obviously need onesies under pants and close monitoring from now on. Maybe you could get a cheap baby monitor to put in the room so you can hear if there is a lot of movement?

I have to ask you. Were you being sarcastic when you said this was cute? Because this is DISGUSTING!!! I would not be a happy caregiver if a child pulled such a trick at my daycare.

If the parents weren't upset that this happened to you then you have an issue. If I were you I would figure that out right now. Do they trust you? Do you trust them? They should have been mortified that their child did this and if I were the parent I'm afraid I would have been questioning you about why you didn't find him quicker. It's happened to a lot of caregivers before, I'm just saying you should think about the real relationship you have with the parents after this incident.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    Why should a parent be grateful to you that you had to clean up a mess because you were doing something else than watching her child. Yes he was supposed to be asleep but obviously wasn't. Do you not check on kids frequently if you are not using a monitor to hear motion? But yes even with checking every 10-15 mintues this can happen and no it is not fun. Might also be time for child to be moved out with others so that he isn't alone at naptime as in easier to peek in on. Never really understood those sleep sacs - thought they were just until a child was able to stand. How aboaut a pair of fleece overalls instead of a sleep sac.

Euphoric !
    While this is awful when it happens and usually parents would be apologetic...I've never really felt that they should be! I mean, it's not like they told the child to do it or somehow made it happen. I had a child have an explosion last week like htat...he hadn't removed any clothing, but it leaked out and got all over everything. I cleaned him off in the tub and put everything including the sheet from the playpen in a bag for his parents. It was just easier to keep all the poop together rather than having me wash the sheet and them wash the rest.

Starting to feel at home...
    I guess I am thinking along the same lines as Playfelt...why does this have anything to do with the parents?

As a matter of fact, as a parent I would be upset with my provider if they were so angry and upset about a poopy mess that more than likely could have been avoided or at the very least interupted BEFORE the giant mess with a bit more closer supervision.

Plus you already acknowledged that this child knows how to take the sleep sack off since you mentioned it to DCM numerous times already. Knowing that information would have caused me to keep a much closer eye on the dck during nap times.

Euphoric !
    Thanks ladies, I was trying to be really politically correct with my answer but I was wondering exactly how this happens to people. I've read this type of thread before but I can never understand how it can happen. I'm with my dckids until they are all sound asleep, then I go upstairs to take my quiet break but I can still hear everything and I'm back in the sleep room before the children wake up.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Outgoing
    They show many signs before they can do the diaper dive. Think back on what he showed you before the grand performance. Learn and fix. I have a video on how to install backwards footed jammies. Search Tori Fees Daycare Whisperer on YouTube.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

Outgoing
    I would have done the same thing as you. wiping them with wipes doesn't get rid of all the poop, so that would mean that they would be spreading all the germs all over my house. The mom was told that he could escape his sack, and i have a feeling that he's done the poopy play at home. also, when they do things like this, they are so quiet, you would never even know. I had a boy who decided to wip his weener out and pee all over my ds's room. His parents thought it was funny, so I handed them a cleaning bill, they weren't laughing then and refused to pay the bill, so I termed them. I told them repeatedly that dcb wasn't fully potty trained.