Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

My computer may have a virus - any help ?

Good morning folks,

So after fighting a flu bug all of last week, it appears that my trusty laptop has also succumbed to a virus. (I know that this isn't funny, but I just couldn't resist that one....) Anyways, the virus hacks into my e-mail and then sends the virus to all of my contacts by sending them an e-mail from "me" with the subject line "MY NAME HERE" I already have a couple of different protection packages on my computer (McAfee and NORTON) Are there any tech litterate daycare providers who could offer some thoughts on how I can decontaminate my computer ? I really don't want to be a typhoid Mary and infect everyone I come in contact with. Thanks very much for any help offered !

FIrst of all you want to boot your computer into safe mode by holding the F8 key (This is all if you are a windows user if you are using a mac then this won't work) Be sure you are on safe mode with wireless enabled (the verbage used) other wise you will not be able to download the programs needed. (hold and keep pressing the F8 key while its starting up, so reboot it)

Then go to google and search for Spybot Search & Destroy, download it.
    Once its downloaded, run a scan, then once scanned it will ask you if you want to fix all problems, click the okay, or yes...Can't remember which one. (This might take a bit, and make sure to select the Scan for problems button)

Then download and install Avira Free Anti Virus (google it), not as system heavy as AVG, run a scan of everything...In other words don't run any type of quick scan, then once all scans are complete, restart your PC as normal. It should be good to go.

Oh and also if you can, log in and change your email password if your account has been "hacked" and you can't change it, then contact your email provider for help. Hotmail, Bell, etc. As well change any other passwords like Facebook, google + etc

I used to work in a tech support role.
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 03-04-2013 at 08:07 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dodge__driver11 For This Useful Post:

Oh and you should uninstall all other anti virus' programs on your pc before installing Avira

Outgoing
    I've noticed a wierd one on facebook, its the one that says to lose weight. when I check my kids facebook page, some of their friends have it. we don't, but I have norton scanning facebook all the time.

Outgoing
    is avira new, because I just fixed my other computer and thats what the computer tech installed on it. Is it better than norton, I'm finding that norton is slowing down my computer.

Avira us new well fairly so. Norton, AVG and all other anti vrus' program seem to be very " system heavy"
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 03-04-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Euphoric !
    I have been recieving emails like this from people in my contact list recently, so the virus is going around (so far nobody has told me that they have received it from me thankfully). It's funny to find out who has you in their contact list LOL.

Euphoric !
    There is a lot of hacking going on in yahoo right now and we have been told if we change our passwords that it will stop. If you can figure out where the emails started it might tell you how they got a hold of your email/password. They need the password to send so changing it often stops the emails being sent out.

Starting to feel at home...
    Thank you ladies ! I have debugged my system and hopefully I'll remain uncontaminated for a while. Again - thanks for all of your help.

Did you do what I suggested ? Were you able to figure it out?