Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Shy

Opening a centre in Toronto

I am considering opening a centre in Toronto.

Do I need a license or can I just open the centre without that? I am guessing a license business means that you have to follow the regulations.

Can I just open a centre with other assistants without going thru the childcare regulations.

Help please with as much info as possible.

You need to have a license to open up a center. You may want to read this first: http://www.childcarelearning.on.ca/p...package-en.pdf

You HAVE to follow the DNA - Day Nurseries Act -http://www.childcarelearning.on.ca/ You will have to have ECE's - trained people, and now they have to be registered - http://www.aeceo.ca/content/dna-and-...-practice.html

As stated in the Orientation Package of DNA,
    It is an offence to establish, operate or maintain a day nursery or private-home day care agency without a licence. On conviction, the fine is up to $2,000 for each day the offence continues, or imprisonment for a term of not more than one year, or both.

Momofthree, I am considering doing the same, but within the next couple of years. Google it. I too live in Toronto, and was able to come up with a great deal of information from just googling. I believe you apply for the license before you have someone look at the space, but with your proposal for license, you have to have dimensions, zoning clearance etc. Looks like it might be a little tricky, but I think any new business venture would be.

Also wanted to let you know (without endorsement, I do not know the person or have any affiliation) that on Kijiji at the moment under child care for the city of Toronto, someone is asking to have her lease taken over for an already functional east end daycare centre. The lease has a renewal option as well. This might be a good fit for you, as it already has contents etc.

Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Alphaghetti, yes I did see the ad and that is why I posted this thread. I did respond to it and now thinking about it but need alot of advice

Starting to feel at home...
    You do not need license if you have less than 5 children under age 10 other than your own.

See http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/parents...package-en.pdf

"A person may provide informal child care to five children or less under the age of 10 years who are not of common parentage (children who have different parents), in addition to his/her own children, without a licence. This number may not be exceeded, regardless of the number of adults present or on site."

Dreamtree
    HOME daycares in Ontario do not have to be licensed if you have 5 children or less (other than your own children) in your care under the age of 10. If you prefer to get licensed you do so by working under an agency like Wee Watchers. In order to have a licensed daycare that does not work under an agency I believe you must move the daycare OUT of your home.