Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Advice Needed...Family with a nanny....

So last summer as I was walking my daycare crew thru the park, a man ran out of the tennis courts and was waving me down frantically. It was actually kinda comical. He figured I was a daycare provider in the neighborhood (ya think..with 5 dc kids and my own 2..we are quite the sight around here He wanted to know about my program/rates. I gave him a quick run down. Turns out they have a Nanny in place but she is extremely expensive and adds to their cost of having to put their son in playschool/play programs just to socialize him (he's an only).

At the time his son was 2. Maybe 2.5. He was very eager to come over with his family and sign up right away. I told him that September was a waaaay long time from now. To call me in the winter/spring. Sure enough, he called the other day.

He and his wife are coming with their son for an interview tonite. I don't know if they realize the huge difference between a Nanny and Childcare Provider. I'm thinking they will probably want "special".

Any advice from anyone who has dealt with a child coming from a nanny? Will he expect "special" I will remind them that this is "Group Care".

I'm thinking they won't expect special. He has seen you out with your kiddies and sees that your home daycare is a group dynamic. They have probably talked with friends who have their children in daycare and understand it's "one for all and all for one" so no time for special treatment. That said, of course outline your day and emphasize the fun of group play/craft time and how he will benefit from having so many daycare friends of different ages.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree, they are interested in the change because of what the child is not getting now. I would for sure point out some of the differences so that they are sure that is what they really want. I would also be prepared for a very spoiled child that might need a lot of retraining although I'm sure preschool helped.

I would also ask lots of questions about preschool and what they liked about it - are they expecting a craft every day, a science experiment done, emphasis on academics or more of a play based program.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I would simply make a point of talking explicitly about what the family's expectations are and what things you are and arent willing to do.

I think if families and providers communicate honestly and openly, almost all daycare related issues or situations can be rectified or addressed.

apples and bananas
    I had a child come from a nanny situation at home. He was the last of 3 children and it didn't make sense to pay a nanny for one child anymore now that the other two are in school.

I really focused on why they wanted him in home care. I wanted to make sure that they weren't just interested in saving money, but ready to introduce him to a group of other kids as well.

I made sure I outlined everything on my policies with them. I also was sure to check on favorite foods and sleeping habits. Sometimes when they're home with a nanny they don't have the same type of schedule. And I made sure they knew that quiet time/nap was non negotiable here.

He was tough for the first week. They become very attached to the nanny and it's very strange for them to be going to a new house for care. He didn't talk to me for 3 days, he would hang off his mom when she left. I had to pry him off her leg some mornings and he would sit in a corner not saying anything. It was a HUGE adjustment for him. He was fine and settled in well after a week and a half. And mom was a huge help with that. She didn't linger, she dropped said she loved him, she'd be back later and she left.

He is a fantastic little boy now! He was about the same age when he started with me.

Good luck! I hope it works out well for you.

apples and bananas thanks for sharing your experience with your dcb that came from a nanny situation. I met with the family and we all clicked pretty quickly. Felt very at ease and sold them on my program. They are looking for structure and socializing their son. He will be 2.5 at start of care in Sept. As well, the cost of a Nanny for one child is what it would cost to have 3 children in my care! They could not justify the cost anymore. They love their nanny and the son has been with her since he was 3 months! Transitioning is going to be hard.

They will call me on Friday. They are a great, loving family. With Great hours and flexibility.

apples and bananas
    That's wonderful other mummy! Transitioning will be hard. Mine was the same, the nanny had been with him since birth practically. We didn't do any transition days. We went straight in to full time! The first week was tough. Mostly because I wanted to make sure he was happy and doubted if I was doing everything I could to make him comfortable. Finally I just stopped pushed him and he came around on his own. He's one of my best now! So well behaved and polite and he helps with the little ones. I started mine at 2.5 as well.

All the best! Prepare for a few days of seperation anxiety, but it will pass quickly at that age.