Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Anyone come across this?

So I just started my day home, I've only had a week with this dcg. This morning mom drops her off and mentions she started threatening to "spank" her parents when she disagrees with them. They asked her where she heard it and she didn't give them an answer.
    I know she wouldn't have got it here, we don't spank or talk about it, and the tv we watch wouldn't have had it on there.
    Mom wasn't accusing me of saying it (or doing it), but being new I'm really concerned. Has anyone come across a similar situation? What was the outcome?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I would firmly tell this mom that spank is not a word or action used in your daycare. I would tell her she needs to investigate elsewhere.

Euphoric !
    It may have come from one of the other daycare children in play if that is what is used in their homes or they have heard it from somewhere. But yes it could also be from any place the child goes that other children go as it more than likely came from a child not an adult.

apples and bananas
    I was once given a bunch of pamphlets from a client. She said that her "social worker" friend suggested that they might help me as her child was becoming a problem. Not listening, pushing, throwing etc. One of the pamphlets was on "why spanking doesn't work" LOL I laughed it off. That was one more thing that landed that client out the door in my opinion.

Having your child in someone elses home requires a lot of trust and some blind faith. If a client can't trust me, but accuses me instead (under her breath or directly to me) then they are not a good fit for me.

I would do the same as mimi. I would tell the client firmly "spank is NOT a word we use in my home" And leave it at that. If it continues then I'd look at termination. I don't like to work under a micro scope.

Thank you apples and bananas, I just terminated a client for a similar situation and seemed to have gotten stiffed on the "respect and financial" part of our agreement in my contract. But after this recent display of behaviour, I am confident in my opinion that the fit was not appropriate. Unfortunately, they also argued that was invalid for termination. If only we had a heads up on these types of parents BEFORE we agree to childcare services.

Outgoing
    Thanks ladies.

I did mention it to mom that we don't spank our kids (and certainly not the day home kids) so it wouldn't have been something they heard from me. So far it's just my 2 and her and I've never heard the verbal of my two mention it. I'm certain it came from somewhere else (their previous day home, family or friends). I just hate being doubted. I'm going to have to stay on guard for any additional comments like this. Like you said, don't want to work under a microscope.