Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dcp entering my home

Hey everyone. Ok so I'm just wondering how much of an open door policy everyone has with their dcps. I have a new dcb that started last month. Her mother has a tendency to slide her shoes off and walk right in and around the main floor of my house. This irritates me and my husband who one day was sleeping on the couch in the toy room and felt uncomfortable being woken up by a parent walking right in to change her child. Her daughter has a tendency to poop or pee herself right when her mother arrives. I offer to change her cause I do t want her walking through my house but she just walks right in and does it before I finish offering. Is this wrong on my part ? Do you guys allow parents to roam your house as they please ? If not how do you politely tell them not to ? Thanks in advance.

Euphoric !
    I think the best advice I have read is to have the child ready to go when the parent is picking them up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Oh I do. I've done that but her daughter is potty training and pees or poops through right as her mother shows up so she just walks right in.

Euphoric !
    Does she pee oput of excitement in seeing her mom? What about having her on the potty just before/as her mom comes to get "ready" to go home?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

dck needs a diaper change in my house, I will do it. If mom starts taking off her shoes let her know your family is occupying the space and do not wish to be disturbed. My dcparents see my hallway and that's it. This woman is rude and infringing on your privacy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    That is really inconsiderate of her. Do you feel like she thinks you are her employee? Because that happens sometimes and we have to put our foot down and make people understand the boundaries. We have a working relationship with a contract and we provide a service in our homes but that doesn't mean anybody has a right to access to our home at their own whims!

If that were happening to me I would have to be polite but blunt. Whatever makes you feel comfortable, but if I were you I would write a letter addressed to all my daycare clients and outline the parts of your home that are accessible to your clients. Use the word CLIENTS. I would include in the letter the fact that your home belongs to your family and you are sharing certain rooms with the daycare children, however parents should confine their movements to (for instance) the entrance hallway unless invited in for a special occasion.

Some people don't have common courtesy! But if you address the letter to all of your clients the offending one will get the message. If not, you will have to say it to her face. But definitely stand up for your rights and your family's rights.

Yeeesh, this makes me so mad for your family!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

K good I was worried I was just being ridiculous. My house is open concept so the parents can see almost all of the main floor she is the only parent who does this. I've never had an issue with any other parent. She wears slide on shoes it take two seconds and they are off. I'm just not even sure how to bring it up. I worry one day ill snap and tell her to get out. I figured when my doors went from being open always to locked always that she would take the hint but no. She shows up at different times. Her daughter is here ten hours and twenty minutes four days a week. The day she's not suppose to come her mother makes an appointment and asks if she can bring her for an hour which turns into two and a half and goes right into my nap time. Then when I'm irritated and say your daughter has been waiting for an hour and a half and wondering why she didn't go for nap with the others she just changes the subject and act like nothing happened. I'm so annoyed. Arrrrrg.

Oh and the ten hours and twenty minutes is cause she comes ten minutes before I official 7 am start and stays till 5:10 ten minutes after I close cause my late fees start accumulating at fifteen minutes prior or after. So irritating

Outgoing
    I had a mom who use to do this, one day, I was with the kids in the toy room and she snuck up on me, scared the poop out of me. That day I went to homedepot and bought and alarm for the door. Its like a door bell but everytime you open the door it would chime.

just because you have an open door policy doesn't mean you have to leave the door unlocked. I welcome parents anytime, but I will lock my door so I don't have surprises, esp. if I have to go to the bathroom.

Euphoric !
    I keep my doors locked for safety reasons, but I do not mind if parents come into my daycare area (I have a separate daycare space in the basement). In fact, I set up an intercom system with my garage door where I let them in without actually going to the door...so they actually have to come in and get their child. To be honest, I have been on the parent's side and it was a very uncomfortable feeling not ever seeing the area where my child played each day (she would bring him dressed to the door). I felt like it was my duty as a parent to see the space from time to time and make sure everything seemed okay (clean, kids happy, etc). Knowing what it's like to be the parent, I put my system in place partly because it is safer for me not to be leaving kids alone to take others to the door, but also because I feel it brings peace of mind to the parents. Now, I would certainly not welcome them to wander around the family areas of my home, but they are welcome to come into my daycare space daily. It is really scary being a parent and leaving your child with a stranger. Now, on the other issues you mentioned...I would ask, why are you allowing her to come earlier and pick-up later? Is that what you agreed to in your original contract? If it isn't working for you, you have to tell the parents and either change it or terminate care. Resenting the parent for something you have agreed to will not get you anywhere.