Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    To clarify, my dcparents drop their child off in the entrance of my downstairs playarea so they do see and can ask to see any part of my daycare area. For pick ups, the dckids are upstairs and that is where my dcparents only get as far as my hallway.

Expansive...
    I think if the parent is entering a daycare area of your home it's only fair that they be allowed in. After all, this is the place where their child is being raised. I had a parent who would regularly take of her shoes and come in the house and chat and ask dcg about her day. Most ppl would be annoyed but I think it's better to have a parent who is involved than not. And did you say hubby was sleeping in the toy room? Maybe not the best place for a nap around pick up time IMO.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

She was my last child to be picked up that day he was sleeping and he crashed shortly after five which is my closing time. She showed up at 5:14 and walked right in that day so I think he has every right to be upset when she was late in the first place. It wasn't agreed upon her showing up early and picking up late. I have in my contract that late fees are charged fifteen minutes prior or after my opening or closing time. Time agreed was 7 to 4 she shows up at ten to seven and picks up at 5:10 most days. My daycare with the toys is in a side room but the kids are allowed to walk all over the main floor. But this is shared with my family. When I took my first to daycare I never thought I was my right to roam the providers home just cause she looked after my child. The only not visible parts are the you room, bathroom and part of the kitchen. Is she's seeing 75 percent of the space the main space the kids use from the door I don't see why she should be allowed to walk right in and do as she pleases. But that's my opinion.

You are not in the wrong Mommy. This client is pushing boundaries. I would just keep my door locked at all times. Have DCG ready. When mom rings doorbell, hand off DCG to mom, bid them good night and take charge of your daycare

Expansive...
    Of course it's wrong of this parent to show up late for pick up. I understand it was after- hours that your hubby was napping, but if it were me I would have told him to nap somewhere else since you were still expecting a client. If she is just walking through the door unexpected, then that's not right either...definitely lock your door. I always do so that I'm never taken unawares. Maybe she wants to come in because she wants to feel as if she is a part of dcg's day. That's the vibe I've gotten from most parents like this.

See fun & care I could see that if the child wasn't in daycare almost ten and a hand hours a day then for a few hours on the day she's not supposed to be here. When her mom says she will be here at four I have her daughter ready then I end up texting at 4:30 to see if she is not coming till five then magically she appears. When my oldest child was in daycare before I opened my own I rushed to see him cause I missed him and felt bad leaving him as long as I had.

Trace of Angels
    OK so FUNNY story. When I first opened my daycare all of my parents came in. I was downstairs with the kids and told them to always just come on in.......not thinking very swiftly I might add! One day when the kids were running around and I had to pee as I always do with the door right open and in walked a daycare dad ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I had a conversation with all parents after that. They now must knock and ring the door bell before they enter my house so I at least have a warning to pull up my pants LOL!!!!
    It's amazing how quickly they forget that this is my home and I still live here with my family and I have the right to pee with the door open if I want to in my own home otherwise I will have five little pairs of feet right there in the bathroom with me and who has room for that right???
    The poor daycare dad he knocks, rings and says hello three times before he comes down now!!!

Outgoing
    I wouldn't be opening my door to let her in until 7. Does she how up at the grocery store 10-15 minutes early and expect to get in to start her shopping? I'm thinking not. Keep our door looked and don't open it unil you open. This parent is taking advantage of you and you need to put an end to it. I would change your policy to have late fees starting at your closing time and do not open early unless you are being paid extra or it.

Do you get paid for her coming on the day she is not scheduled to be there?
    Last edited by fruitloop; 03-05-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Euphoric !
    I may be weird, but I don't mind parents coming right in. Actually, I kind of like it. Of course, I don't have a husband on the scene, so that probably makes a difference. But my teen boys and adult daughter quite like it as well. Most of my clients will often take their shoes off and come in for a little chat and visit. I've always told them that I have an open door policy...don't even knock. My kids haven't been concerned about it either. One day, I was upstairs in my bedroom with the baby girl who's been with me since she was 3 months old. I had a date and took her with me to pick out an outfit as she was the last one. Mom came in, the kids told her I was up in my room, so up she came and we sat on my bed and had a nice visit while playing with her daughter. It was lovely and never occurred to me that it wasn't ok. I've just always been very open and have always had my home open to clients and friends. Must be the hayseed in me

Everyone has their own preferences and boundaries. I've just always loved the openness of my home/business. Thank goodness I've not had a bathroom incident like Trace of Angels! Ugh....how horrifying! My powder room is right by the front door and I can see through the window whether anyone's here. I too pee with the door open, with my little entourage all standing at the gate cheering me on...lol....

Oh, and the showing up early??? No freakin' way! If you open at 7, do not unlock your door till then. And maybe consider changing your late/early policy in your contract. That's ridiculous!
    Last edited by cfred; 03-05-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Euphoric !
    I think this sort of goes with the discussion we had about whether we show the family bedrooms where a playpen might be put for a baby to sleep in and it was more or less divided between those that felt that should be part of the tour and those that felt since this is first and foremost a home and a daycare second that it was ok to maintain a certain amount of privacy. I have one dad that just walks in and he is for the last child picked up so it does catch me every once in awhile cause it can vary but 10-15 minutes. Mostly I am busy in the kitchen but he can only come into the entranceway as I have a baby gate up into the house. He enters and yells hi. The mom rings the bell and waits even if the door is unlocked. The other two older siblings are in daycare centres and dad does the pickups too usually so just assuming that he is doing them all the same while mom recognizes me as in my home. I love my baby gate by the door.