Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smelly dcb

Starting to feel at home...

Smelly dcb

I really don't know how to go about this, so I'm just going to say it. A little boy I have is 2, he's still in diapers and everymorning when I change his bum he smells
    So bad! Like very unclean. I'm not sure what to do about it. I get a cloth and some soap and wipe him all down. I feel so bad for the child. What should
    I do about this? I've never asked the mother about it. It's my SIL so... It seems
    like all my daycare problems stem from
    Her and her kids! I think this is a sign. But have any of you had the problem of a smelly child?

Well..this is your sister in law so you are going to have to do it very tactfully. Ugh. This is why I do not take family members or friends children into care.

I would come right out and ask her "Gee...sis..was wondering if jr. needs to be bathed in the morning...maybe he's having some leakage (dirreaha) his diaper area seems to have an odour...but I know you bathe him in the evenings/mornings so I'm not sure why?? This might get her thinking...

I would also send out a general newsletter to all parents that children must be bathed and clean and ready to start the day.

Failing that...I would just wipe him down in the mornings. Only cause it's your nephew. If it was any other daycare child I wouldent' do it. I would keep throwing it back at offending parent. But in this case it is your sister in law....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Not really sure that I would say anything, personally. Unless you feel that, in general, he is being neglected or mistreated??
    If everything else seems ok, I would not press the issue. This is coming from a mom of 4, who is not ashamed to admit that there have been occasions when we come home from a night of hockey, dance and lacrosse at 8:30... and bath time is neglected. Not regularly, but once in a while. I am sure my children looked a little ragamuffiny the next day! LoL
    Some people (kids included) just have thier own "odor" which can take some getting used to, if that makes any sense.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I was in the same shoes as MomInAlberta - 4 kids and too many activities and no time, but what's wrong with taking your baby in the shower with you in the morning for a quick scrub up if you're short on time? Or a 3 minute bath before bed? That's what I used to do with my stinky little ones.

I can't stand stinkiness either so I would have a problem if I were you DeeDee. Are you still going to be washing your nephew up every morning when he's 3 or 4? I'm afraid I would have to find a nice way to bring up the subject with your SIL if I were you. You can say it nicely but honestly if you are gentle.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Trace of Angels
    I am going to throw this out there. Is he constipated a lot? Children with bad constipation or regular constipation issues tend to have that "constipation" smell. Could it be this. If it is that could be a quick fix that you can do yourself without talking or having an awkward conversation with the mom on the smell and just focus on your concern over the constipation.