Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Daycare Kid Leaving in Tears...

Today my day ended crappy....
    My 2 and a half yr old dck slapped my 14 month old son in the face RIGHT in front of me. I was inches away from the two of them, and she looked at him and just slapped him, for NO reason. He starts wailing. It was completley un-prevoked.

It was 5:01pm...I was waiting for her dad to come and he was already late.
    I gasped at her, and VERY STERNLY said "Sally"! WHY did you just do that?! We DO NOT hit others!!! You need to apoligize to "Billy"!" She apoligized and I then walked her to the front door to wait for her dad.

I was still talking sternly (NOT Shouting!) saying we do not hit here and you must now wait by the door for daddy to come. I was putting her shoes on as I talked.
    Of course her dad walks up and sees her in tears. I explained the situation that just happened but just the look on his face seeing his LO in tears makes me feel like crap.
    We want the kids to leave happy and smiling and when she leaves in her dads arms glaring at me, i cant help but think maybe the dc parents think I should have handled the 'dicipline' better.

Has this ever happend you girls? Why do I feel so bad about her crying right when her dad shows up. We arent suppose to let things slide just because its almost home time, do we??

Had that happen yesterday - little dcg2 got very dirty playing outside, and knew dad would pick her up shortly. Had to put her clothes back on - she was wearing a swimmer and bathing suit. I was just going to wipe her legs down using wipes, but realized how filthy she actually was!!!!

Low and behold - she HATES going in the bath! lol oops! Dad just took her, and told her to suck it up! lol I have great dcparents, so I'm not too worried on what they'll think!

Euphoric !
    I had a 21 month old dck bite my 3 year old son hard enough to break the skin through his shirt right before his mom arrived to pick him up, so she came to find him sitting in a time-out. I explained and she fully supported the discipline and I think she felt bad about what had happened. I think parents have to understand that this is part of our jobs and part of our days do consist of dealing with discipline issues and crying kids. If they don't get that, that is their own problem. It would be different if the child were crying every day when she got picked up.

Expansive...
    You handled that perfectly. If we fear what the parents think then there kids are always going to get away with everything. We are not an all inclusive resort but a daycare. Our job is to teach the little ones about right and wrong, how to show love, kindness and how to share!

I have had a few kids cry at pick up! One was crying and wouldn't stop over a toy that I took away due to them not sharing and fighting. When the Dad got to the door the little one screamed even louder! LOL

I even had a littel boy push my little one on her butt once when his Mom was at the door, she didn't make him even apologise I think she was too embarassed at the time.

Like kangaroomama said it would be different if it was everyday.

I find little ones can sense the special bond we have with our own children and they at times are jealous and are just craving a hug or love from there parents who aren't there. If you notice this behavour again correct it! But at a seperate time give a few extra cuddles and hugs trust me it goes a long way!

"hugs" to you!

Euphoric !
    Sounds like you did allright. I am sure dad didn't love that his princess was crying, but it happens.
    If it was every day, as said above, he may be more concerned. As it is; you are probably thinking about it more than they are!
    PS> No, I don't let things slide because it's almost time to go home. Kids don't necessarily know what time it is, so that doesn't show consistency to them. They need to know "if I do THIS, then THIS will happen". All day long!! On the other hand; sometimes kids DO seem to know it's almost home time, and for whatever reason they act out. Especially when mom or dad is at the door. I have seen kids do a total 180 in behaviour when mom shows up!!!