Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Parents in the daycare...

So I have a space available and I was in contact with a parent for a few weeks. I am still new at this so I asked her to come over one day to see how her little one did. It was a disaster. My two nephews were monsters the whole time. They acted the same way they do when their mother is around, needless to say the next day she contacted me and told me she was no longer interested.. Now I met with a mom last night. And she wants to bring her boys on Friday... What do I tell her. I know it's not going to be a good scene. Because my two nephews are just getting worse. I really like the mom she is soo sweet.. I just don't know what to tell her.

apples and bananas
    I don't interview during daycare hours. For a few reasons.

1. I don't know these people. I'm alone with up to 5 children. It's just to safe. And it's not fair to expose my daycare kids to someone they don't know and I don't know.

2, The kids are completely thrown off. They're either completely shy or complete show offs.

3. I can't focus on the safety of up to 5 kids and focus on making a good impression on a new family at the same time.

I let clients know this right away when they ask to come during the day.

If they like me and I like them and they'd like to visit during the day they are welcome to come between 10 and 11 am only and they can visit with me while the kids play outside. It's the only way I can successfully manage it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Oh, how awful for you! I never have interviews during daycare hours. It is way too hard to keep then kids busy while trying to focus on the new parent. Of course the kids act up....when a parent arrives it signals home time, even if its not their parent! What if you had initial interviews in the evening, then if they seem like a good fit, you could try a daytime playdate if they really wanted to? None of my clients has ever seen the daycare in action before placing their child.

Euphoric !
    I always conduct interviews at around 5pm on a weekday so it's over by 6:30 and I still have a lot of work to do every evening. But we work long, busy days already. I tell people that is the only time I interview and give them the choice of a few days at that time and ask which one is convenient for them. There is no way I would try to conduct an interview while I'm working with the children, they deserve and need my attention during the day. That's the truth, so tell people that!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

OMG I had that not too long ago, the children were all over the place, plus I didnt have time to take care of them since I was talking to parents.... no more. She never called back either haha I thought it went well but now I know why. I didnt send her a email of feedbacks please and the b&?%% said she would get back to me and never did. pfff the worst she could of said is that it just didnt work out. I always wish these parents could call back for space and I would say : Sorry, its full, you should of made a faster decision ahahaha

I have learned that I do not want to interview during daycare hours anymore and parents can arrive as kids leave, that way they leave happy, parents look happy so it shows that I must be good with kids. One asked to stay for the first day... or was it the first morning... but I said that kids dont act the same when parents are there so its difficult for me to ''bond'' with the child. If they like we could do a progressive start.

Anyhoo, best of luck

I do interviews during daycare time, I always have a few over the phone and make sure these people are truly committed and interested.....then I have them come during a "downtime" in the day....free play about 10 to 11 works great...that way I have time to spend with the parents and the parents have a chance to see things in action, see the children, the house and myself interact with the children, I really feel that is important and every time I have met with parents they have always had positive comments regarding the way I interact and the good behavior of the children....that being said, IF I had a child who had questionable behavior for what ever reason, I would def make sure that child was not present for the first interview, can give parents mixed ideas.

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree with what the other ladies here have had to say DeeDee. I learned a long time ago that interviews done during daycare hours never seemed to result in a new client. What I do now, is I explain to prospective clients that "I am unable to meet with you during the day as my focus needs to be on the children". I then offer to meet with them during an evening that works with their schedule. Once a parent has chosen me as their child's caregiver, I don't mind if they want to bring their little one over for a chance to meet the rest of the group. However, I prefer it if the parents leave their child for this meeting. When Mom or Dad are still on site I find that the children do not behave the same way that they will when I am caring for them. I tell the parents that the child needs a chance to learn that I can offer comfort, or feed them, or show them a good time. If the baby/child has a choice between me and Mum of course they're going to choose Mum - I wouldn't want it any other way !

Another thing that I wish parents would realize is that while I (and other caregivers) make every effort to keep turnover low, there is simply no point in falling in love with the group, because a child could leave my care next week (i.e. maternity leave, job loss, parents decide to save a few bucks and move to Gramma-Care) Parents - choose your daycare based on the provider ! She is going to be the long term fixture in your child's life - not the other children. I see this all the time where parents choose a caregiver because there's another child there who is "just the same age as Baby X" I even had one family choose a caregiver because she wanted her son to have other little boys to play with. (she actually called me back two months after our initial interview looking to place her son in my care because the boys at the other caregivers left three weeks after her son started up)

In regards to the two little boys who are making a poor impression - you mentioned that they are your nephews - is there any chance that you could explain to their Mum what is happening, and perhaps she could arrange to keep them home on days when you're meeting with potential clients ? My youngest daughter went through a stage where she was a holy terror when there were other adults around. It was humiliating. I felt like a totally incompetant parent. When I was interviewing prospective families (and even when I was signing contracts etc) my husband took some time off work/came home early from work and took her away - to the park, to the mall - anywhere but here. Yes, he complained a bit at first. When I pointed out that each client she "lost" for me was worth a thousand a month he changed his tune.