Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Infant rash! :(

Infant rash! :(

After arrival this am, I noticed my 6 mo dkg has a raised rash, that seems to be in random spots all over her body, mostly on her neck area, but extends in random spots down her legs and in her thighs as well. Called the Mother and Mother seemed a little less concerned than me, asking if I could give benadryl or wait it out, or if she NEEDED to come get her to be checked....I explained I would prefer to have her checked by a professional and rule out any dangers such as severe allergy or contagious illness. I state clearly in my contracts that I do not allow any rash (note: Mother stated she saw the rash yesterday and couldn't figure out what it was caused by) (no one informed me this am, had to find it on my own)......what are your practices in a case like this? what would you do?

Euphoric !
    Child goes home immediately until rash is diagnosed. Then returning depends on cause and contagiousness. The good thing is that it is a baby so not all over the daycare and easier to isolate. Have there been any other symptoms such as fever. Roseola is one of the common ones for little ones which is why they call it baby measles - don't let the measles part scare you totally not related to regular measles. The child is contagious during the fever and fussiness stage when we think oh they must be teething or coming down with something then once rash comes they are on the mend.

I would make the mom come based on the fact she noticed the rash and did nothing including telling me. She needs to come and be a mom and take care of her child and rule out illness.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would also tell the mom that moving forward she needs to communicate these things to you immediately because if it turns out to be contagious the rest of the children have now been exposed even though we all know that in most cases by the time symptoms present the child is usually no longer contagious

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    I would have called the parent to pick up as well. I wouldn't quote my policies just yet. Once we find out what the issue is then I'd let the parent know that next time if the child has a rash please call and let you know so you can decide if she should attend daycare of not. A lot of new parents don't understand that there are a ton of reasons for rashes and some are very contagious. I think we just have to remind them.

And state it in such a way that she would be concerned if another child came with a contagious rash. That way she can see the other side of the concern.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

funny thing is, this Mom is Mother of two, one is 4 and then the baby. I have learned in this job, there are MANY dif kind of people in this world. I first and foremost remind parents when things like this arise, that I not only am concerned for the wellness of their child and all the others in care, attempting to keep contagious illness from spreading and such, but I also have a ton of liability on my shoulders, I have only seem a rash like this once before and it was on my own child...was an allergy to pennecillin and I was told rushing her to the ER was smart, she had about 5 more minutes befoer her throat was to close up completely. I don't mess with any unnatural occurance with these kids, they are not mine and I take that very seriously. In this job ,i have found, it's best to have a "worst case scenario" type attitude, It can protect you in the end. I don't allow rashes for many reasons....and find it a little frustrating to have a parent question my reasoning.

It really befuddles me how parents take such chances with their childrens health. Hopefully, the rash is nothing, but especially with a baby, every precaution should be taken.
    Not telling you about the rash? What the heck? The more we know, the better we can care for these little ones and be extra vigilant for anything out of the norm. Dcg needs to see a doctor, I would definitely call mom.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

I called Mom as soon as i found it and informed her I would feel much better providing care for her after it has been checked and ok'd by professional opinion that she is healthy enough to return to care, not contagious and no danger to her health. I would rather be safe than sorry.
    As far as the parents not informing me?.....ugh! makes me frustrasted...I have set rules for a reason and this is in my contracts, no rashes or contagious illnesses.....when the Mother informed me that she saw the rash yesterdat, she admitted she knew it was there and didn't tell me....that to me is the same as lying. Doesnt really sit too well with me that a parent will omit such pertinent info as a rash on an infant from the day care provider.....this is what I mean by..how I said, I have learned in this business that people are so dif.....not only did she not inform me, but she also doesn't think its that big of a deal....and I think it is! These are same parents who a few years back the older sibling into care with flea bites all over her body...didn't tell me,,,I found them on my own and they responded with "fleas don't stay on the human" ans informed me they have a flea problem at home...when I suggested they take their daughter home until the fleas where gone, they responded with "it's no dif than your dogs having them"...that didn't make any sense to me, Because my dogs didn't have fleas and further more informed them that IF we had a flea problem, I would not be open for business until they were gone, irregardless of the fact that they may or may not go home on the child. I give all parents big time benefit of the doubt, always trying to see the best in everyone and fully understand that no one is perfect, and no one is exactly like me.......however I do draw the line when they come into my home or drop their child off against my contracts....if they want to keep their kid out of my care and send them to gramma with a rash? that is def their choice and the outcome lies on their shoulders, but I cannot allow a child to come into my home against my contracts and let go of my core values, that lays on my shoulders. people can do what they choose with their kids on their own time...but when it's my time?? I feel I have the right to choose what is best, otherwise they can take the child home! Don't get me wrong, I am not mad in this sit. I called the Mom right away and although she wasnt thrilled, she picked the baby up and brought her to the clinic, I appreciate that, just a little confused as to why some parents think they can "pull the wool". HHHHHMMM! chalk it up to: every one is different.

Euphoric !
    Hand, foot and mouth disease? Chicken pox? Whatever it is the parent has compromised your entire daycare and that would make me upset because that was very selfish of her. I hope for your sake it's a food allergy or something mild.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Could also have been impetigo. I had a small child just diagnosed with it. Luckly the rash popped out while the child was OUT of daycare and they have kept her home until she was seen and had started her medecine. The day they had noticed the rash they called to check if I would take her and I said NO. They understood and no one else has come up with anything at the daycare. You did the right thing. People have different opinions but yours is the one that matters in your home ;0)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to crafty For This Useful Post: