Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Administrator Starting to feel at home... admin's Avatar

Unhappy Does this make me a lazy or bad parent?

[Posting for someone else]

Hello,

(This happened yesterday)

I am in horrible pain right now. And my husband is a f/t shift worker. I pulled some muscles in my back neck and shoulder, and my husband has the type of job that cannot just "be left."

Anyway...I can't lift my son, nor can I really do anything..Other than staying as stationary as possible. I am on t3's atm, and feeliing pretty loopy, and all..I don't really feel good about watching my son alone. (I closed my daycare too, obviously)

So my son's preschool teacher recomended I give a community "nursery" a call to see if they could take him until my husband could pick him up at the end of his work day. As we do not have any family in town, and no one else can help today. Its free of charge, confidential, and for those who don't have anywhere else safe to take the child.

They have space for my son and agreed to take him...Does using this service make me a lazy or bad parent? They also do not open a file with CAS or anything....I checked out the website and called to ask a number of questions and all looks great and safe. I just don't want to be alone with my child when in a "different state of mind."

Please don't be too harsh.

Wow you are not being lazy at all, or a bad parent at all !!! Take that out of your head. Its better for him to be in better care if you cant for the moment. You also have to take care of yourself you know !!

Its no different then parents who want to shop alone and leave the kids at the ''Mall daycare''... ok thats a weird example but... its true. At least the nursery must probably be more safe then the mall daycare !

I cry when I'm all alone here (no family either) and hubby is busy and no one is there to help me... I'm East of Ottawa if I can help you by the way ! If you are in my area I'll give you my email.

YOU ARE DOING NOTHING WRONG !!! Hope you feel better soon
    Last edited by DisneyPrincess; 03-07-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Starting to feel at home...
    NO NOT LAZY!! You are doing the best for your son. I think you are a GREAT parent!

You are putting your child first. Since you are medicated, unable to move effectively to care for him and in pain I would do the same thing. Better this than to not be able to care for your child. Also, this service was referred by a proffessional who works with children and you did follow up calls to make sure this was a good choice. Rest and take care of yourself.

Euphoric !
    You are doing what you have to do to keep your son safe. And oh do I feel your pain...literally, when it comes to the back pain! I am going through a similar thing right now and I had to close my daycare for two days last week because I could barely walk. I did not take anything other than tylenol and Advil, so I was able to still have my daughter here (my son is at school all day) because she is really quiet and easy...all I had to do was manage to feed her. However, if I had been taking T3's or any other strong pain killer, I would not have felt good about caring for her. My doctor prescribed a msucle relaxer for me, but it makes you drowsy, so I did not take it at all because I was worried that I could fall asleep. I hope you feel better soon!

Euphoric !
    Not a bad or lazy parent at all - if anything the opposite is true. I would be wrong to put the child in danger by risking you falling asleep from the meds or making mistakes due to your state of mind to keep him in the home when there wasn't any other adult able to be there too.

I get where you are coming from though as in I'm sure all kinds of weird scenerios went through your mind about why some of the other children were in care there that day but if the teacher suggested it then she too knows what the role of the day nursery is and for your son it was the best place to be.

Euphoric !
    Oh my goodness, I'm sorry for all the pain you are suffering and hope you heal quickly. I agree with the others that you are obviously putting your child's safety and welfare first. It sounds like you have done the research and can feel confident that you are doing the right thing. Take care of yourself.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.