Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Two year old walking

I want to start having a little girl, who is is 2 and 3 months, start walking once a week to do school pick up. Not sure how I should go about having her walk with me. Should I use one of those backpacks with the harness (not a huge fan of them) or just have her hold onto the wagon or have her told on to rope? What are your thoughts and what has worked well for you in the past?
    Last edited by kelleyg19; 03-07-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Expansive...
    I once tried to get my 21 month old daughter to walk to the bus stop, and it didn't end up going so well...but I'm the kind of person who gets VERY stressed out about safety, and I feel much more comfortable having them strapped into a stroller, until they get a little bit older. I had tried with one of those backpack harnesses. The thing with toddlers is once you actually get to the bus stop, most of them are not content simply waiting. They want to play on the snow bank, do things they shouldnt and next thing you know you are pulling your hair out! I'm sure others have different experiences to share but this was mine.

What's your reservation with the backpack and harness? It sounds like a perfectly valid solution. There seems to be a stigma attached to them, as they're seen as a leash, which connotates dog or pet. To me, they are a safety device, and I wouldn't hesitate to use one in the situation that you're describing.

With a rope to hold, there's always that faint but distinct possibility that she could dart out, and you would not be able to grab her without leaving a stroller full of babies.

Expansive...
    I usually start training a bit after 2 years old and I find the best way to start is training them to hold on to the stroller. The moment they let go or show they are not holding on to the stroller then they have to go back to the stroller.

Also...it is important to have the stroller because there will be some meltdowns where the child may say they are too tired to walk or throw a fit that they don't want to walk on certain days.

I know some others have a recommended line that kids can hold on to which hooks into a stroller. I have never gone that route.

Alphaghetti thats exactly my reservation with the backpack harness. I just think they look like you are walking a child on a leash. But I think it's the safest solution. I was looking at some online to get an idea. I just don't know, that's why I wanted to get some other insights with this.

I have one for my own son and i LOVE it. he's at that age where he is really sneaky and can escape very fast. The one i have has an elmo on the front.... and he is SO proud of showing his elmo around. I don't think it looks like you have a child on a leash... my little guy walks right next to me... But i lease i know that if he sees a flower or a squirrel... he wont be able to run for it and fall or worse!

Euphoric !
    Depends on the kid, and what you have in terms of wagons/multiple strollers, etc.
    I used to walk to the bus with a 2.5 year old that was a GOOD listener. So I knew that if I said "wait/stop/don't touch" he would follow direction. I also used to have an almost 3 year old that still strollered it, because he was a runner. I couldn't take a chance on him darting into traffic. He also didn't listen worth a dang...LoL.
    I think the backpack thingies are fine. If it keeps a kid safe, who cares what it looks like? They just have a negative (undeserved) representation.

Euphoric !
    I think the fact they have animals on them now so they are backpacks and not just harness/leashes is actually kinda funny but mine are the good oldfashion harness and leash kind and yes would use them for walkers if I had any doing that. Mine either all ride or we stay in the back yard.

Guess the other way to look at it is why do you love your dog more than your child? By that I mean you put a leash on your dog so it doesn't run out and get run over - doesn't your child deserve the same safety.

Euphoric !
    I use the animal backpacks attached to my wrists at all times. I will not take any chances because we walk down busy city streets and one time a little boy dashed the wrong way all of a sudden. If he hadn't been attached to my wrist I would be in the insane asylum right now from watching him be killed. I take NO chances. By the way, I call them my TODDLER RESTRAINT SYSTEMS, not leashes and I don't care what people think. I start children practicing before the age of 2 and right now I have a 17 months old peanut, he's so tiny, practicing to walk 1/2 a block to strengthen his legs and get used to the process.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.