Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Help for a mom in Ontario

A friend of mind that lives in Ontario it is very upset and hurt with a Daycare center because her son (almost 3 years old) was told he could not come back to school in diapers. Her pediatrician said this was against the law. She has asked me if I know of any articles or documents to support what the doctor said. Advice will be appreciated.

Euphoric !
    I've never heard of that in a daycare centre. School, yes, but not daycare! I don't know of any documents per se, but it seems very strange to me. My own son is ADHD and wasn't fully trained, despite best efforts, until he was nearly 4. I've never heard of such a thing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Did they tell that to the child or the parent? Kids can do and say things that are a bit stretched from the truth. A worker may have said that to encourage him to be a big boy.
    The parent needs to find out from the centre if that's in fact truth.

They maybe getting upset for nothing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

It was told to my friend. She wants to keep her son there, because for different reasons he has been with different caregivers and does not want him to transition again. It's a Montessori School.

The Montessori Daycare down the street from me will not accept children that are not potty trained. Perhaps your friend led them to believe her son was potty trained when in actuality, or perhaps because it was a different environment, your friend's son would have accidents.

Did she go over her contract?

Besides..why is your friend so interested in legal advice? Is she planning to sue them, or fight her son's spot in a daycare that does not want him there..as a mom, I would not want to bring my child to a place where he wasn't wanted. Just sayin.
    Last edited by Other Mummy; 03-07-2013 at 01:29 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    A montessori school stresses independence from a very early age so if he had been going there all along they would have pushed the training much earlier. Does the child wear an actual diaper or a pullup. I can see where there would be issues with a diaper if they are not set up in that classroom to change diapers. Having a pullup on "just in case" should not be an issue as child will go the bathroom and take a turn like everyone else pulling pants up and down as needed.

She may have to move the child to an actual daycare centre that comes under the rules whereas a montessor is considered a private school with a daycare component so may not have to accept untrained kids in preschool meaning child either stays in the age group below or gets trained quickly.

It may also be that they are lumping some things together and thinking if child grows up in one area that they may grow up in other areas too and better fit with the program. She probably should have found out some of those things before starting the child and likely they are in the package of info. I am inclined to think that montessori because of their philosphy will be able to enforce their independence rules.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I know of several daycare centers that will not accept children into their 3+ program unless they are toilet-trained. She may have had to sign something stating that the child was toilet-trained before being admitted. Although they expect the occasional accident, if a child is not trained at all, they will be asked to leave the program until they are trained. I'm not sure why this is against the law since the parent would have signed in agreement with this upon enrolment.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to treeholm For This Useful Post:

Thank you so much ladies. I already e-mailed my friend and pass along your advice/comments.