Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help...Fast

Help...Fast

I have a parent that is here three days a week, contracted days, two children. She called today to ask if she could switch days next week. Told her I'd text her back ASAP after I checked my schedule. Turns out I don't have availability for her that day. She just texted back that she needs me to be flexible

I think being flexible is letting someone drop off a little early once in a while, maybe coming during story time if they had a doctors appointment. Doesn't she actually want full time availability for part-time pay?

It bugs me even more because I made it quite clear during the interview that I would term her for a full-time family when the time came, but have let her keep her hours (I love the girls, can't do it) turning other families away.

Would you send a text back or say something at pick-up time, or wait to see what she says? How should I respond?

apples and bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedaVacay View Post
    I have a parent that is here three days a week, contracted days, two children. She called today to ask if she could switch days next week. Told her I'd text her back ASAP after I checked my schedule. Turns out I don't have availability for her that day. She just texted back that she needs me to be flexible

I think being flexible is letting someone drop off a little early once in a while, maybe coming during story time if they had a doctors appointment. Doesn't she actually want full time availability for part-time pay?

It bugs me even more because I made it quite clear during the interview that I would term her for a full-time family when the time came, but have let her keep her hours (I love the girls, can't do it) turning other families away.

Would you send a text back or say something at pick-up time, or wait to see what she says? How should I respond?
    I would text back and say "we can speak more about it at pick up" You are watching children, she's working. Sounds like she was looking for you to say "sure, no problem" Well.. it is a problem. You won't go over your legal limits because that puts all children at risk. She has set days for a reason. If she wanted a fexible schedule then that's something she could have discussed when she signed on.

Wow, the nerve of some people. Hold strong on this one. It's classic case of parent thinking you work for them.

A "flexable schedule" costs you money! Are you not supposed to fill all your spots just in case this mom may need the day. I would explain the "business" side of daycare to her. She needs to be educated and perhaps plan her childcare arragements better rather than putting the onus (sp?) on you.

Euphoric !
    You respond saying what days you have openings for the two girls and that you can not go over in numbers because it is against the law. She needs to know that she is only entitled to her contracted days. Remind her that it isn't you being inflexible it is you staying within legal limits and you are sorry that you can not help her but just like she only wanted to contract for part of the week and only pay for part of the week that you have other families that do the same and therefore you do not have any additional days.

Euphoric !
    Sounds like another case where the parent thinks they are the boss and you are the employee. I just hate that! It is wrong! I agree that you should make it clear that you run the daycare and your schedule is filled and this parent cannot make this type of demand on your time. Are you supposed to bump another family at her whim?
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    Let her know that if she needs you to be available for all 5 days of the working week, she needs to pay full time rate, times 2, since she has two kids.
    As for next week, I agree with the others in regards to reminding her that you will not run over the allowable number of children in your care.

Euphoric !
    I'm a little late to the party here but I would also tell her that you are at your max for the day she is asking for and if she wants the flexibility if bringing her children any day if the week then it's full time fees for both kids ....... So what happened ?