Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Exclamation Interview tonight, and I have an urgent question!!!!

So i had a call from a potential client, they need care till 5:30 and they want to start ASAP. I close at 5 but agreed to meet with them. I want to charge extra for staying open later for them especially since I am open at 6 am. They wont drop off till 7:30 from what he said. My weekly fees are $190, so would $5 extra per day be too much or too little? Help!

Outgoing
    I have a dcf who occasionally drops off before my opening time. on days they do this i charge an extra $5/day. I dont think thats unreasonable. There has to be an incentive or whats the point in having set hours?

Euphoric !
    I agree extra $5/day is appropriate !

apples and bananas
    I agree, $5.00 is probably what I would charge.

Really think about it before you take them on though. It's a long day already, you're going to make it a half hour longer. That means, dinner is a half hour later, cleaning is a half hour later, homework, baths... they all get pushed back.

Just make sure you're being realistic. There's nothing worse then commiting to someone then wanting to take it back 4 weeks later.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    I agree, $5.00 is probably what I would charge.

Really think about it before you take them on though. It's a long day already, you're going to make it a half hour longer. That means, dinner is a half hour later, cleaning is a half hour later, homework, baths... they all get pushed back.

Just make sure you're being realistic. There's nothing worse then commiting to someone then wanting to take it back 4 weeks later.
    I know what you are saying, when he originally called, he wanted to pick up at 6 or 6:30 and I was like no way, so then he asked if he could come at 5:30. Fortunately, I only open at 6am for two weeks out of the month, the other two weeks it is 6:30. I don't have young children, my daughter is almost 20, so homework etc is not an issue. I am going over my contract with a fine tooth comb right now because this guy sounds like he may want to do things his way and that is not happening! The only reason I agreed to meet with him is because he is the only potential client I have heard from that needs care now instead of 6 months from now. Deep down i am hoping that the extra fee will make him look elsewhere.

I just enrolled someone like this. The boy will start in a couple of months. They said they were not sure whether they will be able to pick up on time. So I am charging a premium for the extra time ($7.50 for 30 min extra) and told them that if in the future they find out that the kid can attend every day during regular hours we could go back to the original fee.

Euphoric !
    Wow...11 hour days would be two more hours than I would be willing to do! I would charge at least an extra $10 per day. That is a long day! And since he originally asked for 6 or 6:30, I would be very concerned that 5:30 may stretch later and later until the child is with you until 6 or 6:30. Be very careful with this one!

Euphoric !
    Thinking along the lines of Sunnydays - it will be 6:00 very quickly with excuse after excuse. Make sure instead of charging a flat rate that it is $3 for every 15 minutes or something so that when it does go past 5:30 you get even more. If they are willing to pay the extra and you can park child in a quiet activity while you get supper then it just might be worth the extra cashflow. On the other hand it just might be an incentive for the family to change their hours and start at 7 so they can be done sooner which would be better for you since you start earlier anyways.

5$ for 30 minutes more is very good !! Here, after 5pm its 5$ late fees every 15 min. Even if they get here at 5:01pm its 5$ more.. late is late.. What I mean to say this for is, I hope that even though they arrive at 5:01, 5:02, 5:10 etc you will still stick to it and not let them play you.

Euphoric !
    Why on earth do they need to use such long days? Do they work in another city? Wow! I wouldn't meet with them but then I open at 7:30am and close at 5pm and don't want to work one extra minute for the families because I need my alone time or social busy time in the evenings and you need your family time. Don't burn yourself out or make your family suffer. There will be another client.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.