Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Head Lice

Euphoric !

Head Lice

So my dc mom texted me at 2 pm to tell me her son has head lice! She asked me what to do re: daycare as she is treating him and his brother with the shampoo. I directed her to keep them home on Mon to ensure they are nit free and so I could clean the daycare as well. It is a shame I didn't get the call even 12 hrs earlier as I had already changed all the bed linens, towels etc and had to do it all again. What is your lice policy? Should I have let them come on Monday? I just figured 24 hrs is a good practice with anything contagious.

Thankfully, it doesn't look like my girls or I have contracted them.

here is my policy:

Head Lice Policy
    It is the responsibility of all parents to check their child's hair weekly for head lice and to provide adequate treatment if head lice is found.

If your child has head lice you need to inform me right away. This way I can inform all other parents that head lice has been found in the daycare. I will never revile which child brought the lice into the daycare. I will respect yours and your child's right to privacy. The sooner all parents are aware of the lice the sooner their can check their children and we can stop the outbreak before it gets to o big.

Because it can take u to 24 hours after treatment for head lice to die. Your child must remain home for 24 hours after the first treatment has been done and that you have confirmed that all the lice are dead and the nits (eggs) have been removed.
    You must also do a 2nd treatment within 7 to 10 days after the first treatment was done.

During a head lice outbreak my daycare will remain open. It is up to you weather or not to bring your child (unless under going 1st treatment) or not.
    Payment will still be due for the days I am open

All steps will be taken to remove any head lice from the daycare/my home as quickly and safely as possible.
    What are head lice?
    Head lice are very small, less than 1/8 inch long, tan colored insects that live on the human head. They live and lay their eggs, called nits, close to the scalp. The nits are tiny and are gray, white or brown. The nits are firmly cemented to the hair shaft.

Who can get head lice?
    Anyone can get head lice. They are not a sign of being dirty and do not reflect poorly upon parents. Head lice are a common problem any place where there are groups of children, such as child care settings and schools.

What are the symptoms of head lice?
    Itching and scratching of the scalp and neck are usually the first sign that head lice are present. The areas most often affected are behind the ears and the back of the neck. If lice or nits are found on the head of one person in a household, the heads of all household members should be checked. look for crawling lice in the hair near the scalp and nits glued to the hair shafts. They are usually found within 1/2 inch of the scalp.

When do the symptoms appear?
    It may take two to three weeks before the intense itching is noticed.

How are head lice spread
    Head lice are passed from person to person by direct contact, on shared personal items (combs, brushes, hats, scarves, sports headgear, jackets and other clothing) or by contact with infested bedding, furniture, or carpeting. Head lice do not fly or jump. They crawl and can fall off the head. Lice do not usually live longer than 48 hours off the head. They only lay their eggs while on the head. It is unlikely that the nits will hatch into insects after they have fallen off the head. Lice do not spread to pets, and you cannot get them from pets.

What is the treatment for head lice
    Lice control products come in the form of shampoos, creme rinses and lotions. Some products are available over the counter from a drug store and some are only available by prescription. If you are on medical assistance, contact your physician for a prescription. Contact a physician before using any lice control product on an infant, or a woman who is pregnant or breast feeding. It is recommended that the hair first be washed with a shampoo that does not contain a conditioner or creme rinse. Baby shampoo and Prell are two good examples. The head should be rinses as usual. Some products are to be used on a dry head, others on a head that is damp. Only those people with actual lice or nits should be treated, because use of these products will not prevent someone from getting head lice.
    Follow the directions carefully. The directions are not the same for every product. The lice don't always die immediately. It might take up to 24 hours. If live lice are seen two days after treatment, retreat with a different brand. It is recommended that all nits be removed as part of the treatment. A special fine toothed comb is usually included with the product, or can be purchased separately. However, many people feel that the most effective way to remove nits is with fingernails. There are also nit loosening products that you can use after the lice treatment shampoo. Be sure to clean your fingernails thoroughly with hot soapy water and scrape under them if you used them to remove nits. After the hair is dry, recheck the head for any nits left over and remove them. After treatment, check the head ever day for several days.
    How can the spread of head lice be controlled?
    Combs, brushes, and similar items should be soaked for at least 10 minutes in hot (30 degrees) soapy water or a lice control product solution, then scrubbed with an old toothbrush that you can throw out. Recently worn clothing, including hats, scarves, jackets, pajamas, etc., should be washed in hot water and dried in a hot drier for an least 20 minutes before being worn again. Items which cannot be washed should be dry cleaned, or sealed in plastic bags for two weeks. Items such as sports headgear, headphones, stuffed animals and pillow should also be bagged and stored for 2 weeks. Clean floors and thoroughly vacuum carpets, furniture, mattresses and the seats of cars. The use of lice killing sprays is not recommended.

How can the spread of head lice be prevented?
    Check children's heads frequently throughout the year. Especially if they are in child care of school. Avoid sharing items for hair care, clothing, hats, sports headgear towels, and bedding. Avoid sharing lockers. If jackets are hung on hooks close together, tell your kids to stick their hats in the jacket sleeve, not on a shelf by the other kids hats.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My lice policy has the kids home till after the second treatment. I remain open for he ones that didn't get them but I check the hair daily just in case. I bag all stuffed animals and dolls for two weeks. Has lice in my daycare at the end of oct .... Thankfully my kids or myself didn't get it and only two dcks got it and it came from the parent of one child that is a primary school teacher

My lice policy has the kids home till after the second treatment.
    good idea. I will change mine to that too.

Euphoric !
    I thought the second treatment can't happen for 10 days though.

Expansive...
    Waiting until the second treatment sounds a bit harsh, and is not really necessary. That means parents would have to keep child home for 10 days when my son got lice from school, he was able to go back so long as he had received the first treatment and the nits had been removed. Make sure you inform other parents so they can check their kids too.

Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    I thought the second treatment can't happen for 10 days though.
    i think it depends on the treatment. I got my info from the school across the street from me.

Euphoric !
    There are some that are 7 days ... Depends on the brand that you use ....and it takes 10 days for an egg to hatch if the parent misses just one then you have a whole new out break and the last thing I want to do is sanitize for lice again because I allowed a child back .... Also I think of it from the parents of children who didn't get it that I am protecting from another outbreak..... I don't agree with the school system and the fact that they dont have any exclusion and here in Ottawa they don't even do head checks anymore .... I don't feel they are protecting my children because the shampoo treatment is highly toxic and not something I want to apply to my child's head just because they were not kept home till after the second treatment