Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Dreamtree

How many children under two?

Hello Everyone!

I just have a quick question. I have 3 (will be) 11 month old infants starting with me in September. I recently had to turn down a family because they wanted full-time care for their daughter who will be 11 months old in October. I let them know I could take them on p/t and move to full-time one all the girls are a bit older. My main concern is that they all be walking or on their way to walking when I take on the 4th child.

I would really like to give this mom a timeline...but because every baby develops on their own clock...it's difficult.

What age groups and numbers are you all working with?
    any advice or thoughts would be helpful..thanks!

Hi Dreamtree! I think it's all about your own comfort level, and what your daily routine consists of. Do you venture off your property much? If so, do you do it for walks, or take them to the playground? I personally can't imagine caring for even three infants, let alone four. You're brave. I can't even bring myself to care for more than three kids, period.

My own recent situation is making me a little nervous to be honest - I keep trying to talk myself down. I have an almost two year old dck at the moment, and have two more starting in August, at different times. When all is said and done, I will have a 13 month old, a 16 month old and a 24 month old in my care. I have my new wheels to accomodate, but I keep I thinking about being at the playground and all hell breaking loose! lol What do I do if one decides to dart one way, and the other two are eating sand or climbing precariously on the play structure? We may be spending a lot of time in my fenced yard this fall.

Come September, I'll have a 29 month old, two 1 yr olds, a 17 month old and possibly a 20 month old (p/t). All but one or two will be walking.

For my comfort level, I will only take two children who cannot walk yet - the rest have to be walking on their own, and be able to crawl up and down the stairs.

Outgoing
    I have 3 one year olds (all walking) and a 2 year old. I find that even though they are walking, i only have two hands, and sometimes they refused to walk in the right direction and then we have a tantrum on the sidewalk.
    I do not allow them to walk around outside, unless in our fenced yard. I put them in a double stroller, and oull a wagon behind me when we go to the park, and then its a handful as they all try to climb the equipment in different areas and i have to make sure nobody falls etc.
    My son is the best walker, (14 mos) but he still doesnt realize that it hurts to walk off the 2-foot-high patio deck. its a big handful managing these 3 little ones when they are together.
    I am thinking of telling the family of my part time one 14 month old that they need to find another daycare. Its too much for me at times. Child's safety is #1.

Dreamtree
    Thank you both for your quick replies. I guess my reluctance is that all four girls are virtually the same age..they will all be 11 months in the fall, so there is little variance which makes me nervous. I told the mom of child #4 that I was confident that I could take her daughter in the new year...that way all the children would be at least 15-16months.

Alphaghetti- I hear you! I have to buy a quad stroller this summer and I too plan on spending much of our outdoor time in our big fenced in yard!!

Play and Learn, you have a good range of ages...I think that allows one to take on more children

Shy
    I have 3 13 month old, 1 18 month old and a two year old. I don't get out much other than walks I have a bye-bye boggie six seater that I pushed them when it is nice. I will never let them out all at once.

Euphoric !
    I won't take more than 3 under 2 at one time. My personal preference, and (I am pretty sure) local regulations don't allow more than that.
    I have to admit that I would be a little wary of taking ALL of them out and about, letting them roam, unless it was a totally contained or fenced in space.

Outgoing
    When I first started my day home my plan was to have all the same age kids, around a year. I figured it would make plans/activities easier since everyone would be the same age. Now that I have been up an running for a few months, I'm glad I didn't decide to do that. The three kids under 2 that I have (10 mths (my own,) 15 mths and 17 mths) are a handfull and I have three just over 2 (2 (my own) 2 1/2, 3 1/2) as well. My days seem to consist of preparing food, clean up and a lot of bum changes! It does get easier but I have now decided that I will never have more than one non-walker in my care. Even getting out in the yard can be a chore sometimes since I have stairs down the back patio.
    I even had to turn down a woman and her one year old, after I already got her to sign a contract and pay a deposit. I felt bad doing it but I knew for my own sanity and the safety of all the children, I couldn't take on another younger one.
    I think there are going to be stressful days no matter what ages you have (trust me, I have had many) but you have to go with what you're comfortable with.

Euphoric !
    One of the biggest things to do when you do find your ages at such a low level is re-evaluate some of what you do. In terms of numbers there are families that have triplets so that isn't really the issue. But until you have voice control of the kids - meaning you call them and they obey then they don't get out period outside the back fenced yard. For their level of development that is the best place for them to be anyways. I tend to use 15-18 months depending on the child as the age when I can rely on them to be a bit more independent in terms of up and down stairs, starting to listen but age two before I trust them.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have two children under two, two over two and two over three. That is what is allowed by law where I live. I would not have over two children under two. I can definitely take more than six children however if they are over three. I don't but I wish I could, as it is a little more fast paced for me. I work better then. I work with another organization where I have many, many children that I teach. I have other adults there with me, but they just stand around and talk. I love that job and feel quite at home there.

We do have group family childcare where I live now that allows for ten children, two providers but there can only be one child under two. Strange that one person can have two children under two, but two providers can have only one child under two.