Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Steps required to open my own daycare?

hi,
    i am new at toronto, i want to know all the steps i have to follow to open my own daycare?
    i speack frensh and little bit english, so, if i open daycare in frensh, do i will have kids?
    thx for your help

Starting to feel at home...
    I'd start with google! See what regulations are out there. Im on the west coast and we have programs and services available to us to help start up. Good luck!

Euphoric !
    I you are just starting out you have two choices. You can choose to do it all on your own or you can choose to sign up with an agency that will help you set up your home and help you with the paperwork. They may also help you get some clients but realize that they will pay you less per child than what you would be able to charge if you found the clients yourself. Starting out with an agency until you feel comfortable with all of the rules and regulations can be a good way to get started. There are a couple books out there that can help you set up too. Our childcare resource network sells them but there may be something else available from one of your local associations. Revenue Canada puts out a little booklet and it is online about using your home for daycare and it is somewhat helpful although confusing. There are no grants or requirements for starting up your own home other than the fact you can not have more than 5 children other than your own. The cost of equipment, toys, food, etc will have to come initially from you and then the fees your parents will pay you. Look for people in your area that are advertising childcare and contact them and say you want to open your home and they may be able to give you names of support groups in your area.

Shy
    Do you need to open a legal business? Or register your business name or anything? I can't seem to find anything about that anywhere.

Euphoric !
    To start out no you don't need a special license. Some municipalities I understand do require you notify them so you could contact your city bylaw office for that one. If you are going to give your daycare a name then you have to register the name. Otherwise you just advertise that you have a home daycare and are looking for clients. In many areas there is a high demand for a French speaking caregiver so that might actually work in your favour. If you can talk to other caregivers and find out if there is a childcare support group in your area that is a great way to start. If you go to www.ccprn.com which is the support group for us here in Ottawa they have a link on the homepage where you can download information about opening your home for daycare.

Is that mean it's like in Quebec? You only need to have an assurance and a 40h course? Is it like only 6 children only?
    What about openning an installation?
    Bilingual Daycare
    Has the best job ever

Euphoric !
    You can only care for 5 children in your home at a time in Ontario. Even if you have a helper you can still only have 5 children. There are special rules about opening a daycare centre and you would need to read the Day Nurseries Act for Ontario to learn those rules. You should probably contact an agency and get them to talk you through the process for your new area. That would be the best way to get the most accurate information.

Aren't we not allowed to have assistants in Ontario?
    Last edited by agesandstagesdaycare; 03-14-2011 at 09:53 AM.

You can have as many assistants as you want but you can still have no more than 5 children (not including your own) in your home at one time.