Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Before After school question:no time for searching old post!

Hi Everyone.
    This is my first post and it's a quick question because I have someone calling in a bit and I hope to have an answer......in Ontario, what are the guidelines regarding numbers of children and also before/after school kids for an unlicensed home daycare? I did daycare several years ago but never had the school kids and can't remember the 'rules'. I also saw someone post that you can have 6 kids in a licensed daycare. Is it the same for unlicensed? It used to be 5. I'm just wondering if the b/a school kids are in addition to the numbers of full day kids, or inlcuded?

If someone can answer asap I'd appreciate it!

LeeAnne

Dreamtree
    You can have 5 children un 5 (aside from your own) in a private unlicensed daycare, not 6. Under and agency (i.e licensed) you can have 5 under 5 (with specific ratios) and this number includes the caregivers own children as well. I BELIEVE that is the school age children are over 6 years of ge they are not included in the base number of 5 children, but I am not sure. If they are 5 or under though they are definitely included.

For both licensed AND unlicensed home child care in Ontario, it's 5 children maximum, not including your own. If they are over the age of ten, they do not count toward the amount of children under your care. If they are under ten, no matter how long or often they are there, you may have no more than five children at any time.

Licensed home daycares actually have special rules about how many you can have under the ages of 2 and under age three, but unlicensed day homes are not subject to these rules.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Sandbox Sally; 06-24-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: additional details

You are allowed 5 children in your care under the age of 10, and not including your own.

From website: http://www.ckoeyc.ca/ccir-database/p...egulations.htm

"The number of children that you may care for is determined by the Province of Ontario’s Day Nurseries Act and by local by-laws. Under the Day Nurseries Act, you may provide care to five children ten years of age and under per household, no matter how many adults are involved in providing the care. This does not prevent you from providing care for more than five day care children if some of them are part-time. However, no more than five day care children may be on the premises or in your care at the same time. Once a child reaches his/her eleventh birthday, he/she is no longer included in the total of five day care children. Your children, regardless of their age, are not counted in the total of five children if you are working privately. However, if you are working with a supervised home day care agency, your own children under the age of six may be counted in the total of children. Also, when working with a supervised home day care agency, there should be no more than two children under the age of two years and no more than three children under the age of three in your care at any time."

Starting to feel at home...
    Wow Ontario rules are awesome!!! In BC it's 2 not including your own or licensed 7 but including your own.

Thanks. So just to clarify, anyone having before/after school children counts them in that 5? I thought if they were over 6 they didn't count as well but wasn't sure. So it gets tricky then with JK/SK where the kids are still 4 or 5. If you take them on, how do you charge them?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeAnne View Post
    So just to clarify, anyone having before/after school children counts them in that 5?
    Sure does.

If it's before and after school only it's $20/day/child. If they're here for P.D.Days, I charge $40/day/child. Same with p/t care, I charge $40/day/child (under 5 hours of care). My regular rate for children under the age of 3 is $35/day.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Many caregivers charge the same daily rate as they do for their toddlers as in the rate the parents are paying doesn't go down when the child goes to school and especially if you are responsible for getting them to the bus stop or to school and meeting them again. I use the example that a child in afternoon school is gone the same length of time the others are napping. They are still eating the same foods, doing the same crafts and using the same supplies. Even a morning child expects to do the craft in the afternoon or otherwise be entertained and rarely naps so they are there more hours than before so to speak.

Interesting on what was posted above about the school age. I always thought it was had reached their tenth birthday and then didn't count anymore. Not that I want any of them any more anyways.

Euphoric !
    If you need to know for sure, google "dayhome regulations" or some such phrase, plus the name of your province. I know that where I am, a home child care centre (licensed or non) can have 6 children under 10 NOT including their own children, at ANY time. Of those kids, only 3 can be under 3. And of those kids, only 2 can be under 2 if you are licensed. And yes, the B/A school kids count.

Starting to feel at home...
    when I looked into starting up under Wee Watch, I was only allowed 5 children including my own, and only a certian number of children under a certian age. (I think it was only 2 under 3 or something and since my daughter was 2 I was only allowed 1 more)

Going it on my own its 5 under the age of 10 not including my own, so I have 5 daycare kids and 2 of my own so a total of 7. I do not charge the same for afterschool kids as I do for full time kids. I know that some providers in the area do and they claim responsiblity for the kids if they are sick and cannot go to school. I am not willing to lookafter sick children, (cuz then my kids get sick) so my rule is if they are too sick for school, they are too sick for daycare.

I took it as 5 kids at any one time, so (before I knew I was expecting) I had 2 of my daycare kids that were going to be in school full time next year, I was able to offer up 2 part time spots in the morning while the others were at school.... I would never have more than 5 in my care... so I didnt have to charge my parents a full day rate when their kids were not with me full days and I dont have to look after sick children!