Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Should I continue or cease a contract? Looking for opinions please :)

I have a flexible drop-in contract with one of my DCP (who is a friend) in addition to the flexible contract I open early & stay open late & do a school drop off or pick up to a 2nd school. The DCP does pay a daily rate, rather than before & after school drop off rates & this is to compensate for the early/late opening.

However recently it seems that what was meant to be an occasional school drop off or pick up has become a regular drop & pick up, leaving my regular DCK's stuck in the van for an hour while we wait for 2 schools finish, needless to say everyone is rather frazzled by the time we get home.

A couple of days ago the DCP was paying her fee & she decided to knock off $5.00 from the daily rate as the Dad (the DCP's are going through a separation too) had short noticed picked the DCK up from school. the DCP looked taken aback when I pointed out that she had short changed me, but still didn't offer the extra payment.

When I go through my figures the DCP only equates to 10% of my earnings, but the hassle and impact seems to be more on the DC.

The DCP has just changed how she & her ex-husband are looking after the children & is asking me to fit this in with my schedule. Therefore giving me opportunity to cease the contract

What do you think? Should I carry on? or should I cease?

Euphoric !
    Oh I would be running for the hills if I were you! Get out while it is easier to do so! Having the kids stuck in the van for an hour a day is not fair to them or you. You may end up with other parents complaining about this as well. So not worth all that effort and hassle for such a small amount of money. And, since when does a parent get do decide what fee she pays? Ridiculous! Start advertising and get rid of them is my advice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

I would write a contract for them outlining:
    -your pay (doesn't matter who picks up or if child is away, you get paid the same)
    -what hours work for you
    -how many days per week/month (depending on what works for you) they can attend
    - who will be paying what, what days payment is to be made

If they don't like YOUR terms then they can find daycare somewhere else. Daycare doesn't work around a single family, the families work around the daycare. Its time to take your daycare back, write a contract and let them know that you are the boss or get rid of them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I'm with sunnydays.....outta there girl! I don't know how you've done the hour in a van this long...plech!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Yes, I agree with the others. This is too much work/inconvience/attitude for the pay. Time to say good bye.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Next...........

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Oh my, sounds like this is ruining your day and it made me tired just reading your post. Why should you have to plan your entire routine around one family. It doesn't sound like all the other children are having fun. Are you taking a risk of losing one of your other great families because of this situation? You have to weigh out whether you are doing the best thing for ALL of the children. That's your job. Good luck.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thank you so much for your comments & advice
    I will be ceasing the contract, the other DCKs deserve better

Euphoric !
    It's great to get good advice and have those words ready in your head or for your letter isn't it? That's exactly how I improved my business. Great advice from people with lots of home daycare experience helped me so much.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    If I were a parent and found out my children were sitting in a van for an hour, even just once a week, I'd be looking for a new daycare provider.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to treeholm For This Useful Post: