Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Me and my big mouth :(

Well I did it this morning !! I was in the bathroom giving this child a hard time for not eating properly her breakfast and I told her, in a angry voice, ''THAT IS DISGUSTING'' as I walked out, I see one of my new parent was there standing in the entrance. I feel as little as a pea !

I'm always angry at that child's parents, they are the ones that respect me the very less, and I suppose I get impatient with her more and thats because I have no patience with her parents

I actually blank out when I saw the parent in the entrance, I dont remember if I said anything worst... I know I actually mumble something about ''father'' and ''stupid''... chit is the word ! I'm just so stressed out these days.

This new parent will sure think I might act like that with his daughter. Too bad if I loose him, the baby is the sweetest I ever had plus what if he goes around telling people. Here goes my reputation as a bad daycare provider and perhaps OMG make me have to close

Hope that new parent didnt hear too much and that sure teaches me a lessons to shut my mouth and keep my thoughts to myself, especially during arrival and departure time when the door is unlocked

Euphoric !
    And that is one of the reasons my door stays locked - you ring and I let you in. I do not want someone walking in on a moment when they have no idea what preceded it.

Chances are the parent wasn't there long enough to hear very much as in was busy opening door, talking to their child etc. and not really concentrating on what was going on.

Some things with kids are disgusting and well that is just a fact of life I'm sure the parent knows too. I would probably go out of my way to "appear overly nice" without making it look like I was acting as often as I cold when this parent would be around so they see the other side of you.

Here's hoping the parent gives you the benefit of the doubt and really most do because they know that they are going to work and most like it that way and would not do our job for anything.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Do you think you could talk to the parent that witnessed the situation, maybe say "I feel like I need to explain myself from earlier....."? This happened to me a few weeks ago but it was the Dad of the child I raised my voice to that walked in. I had already asked this toddler 3 times to pick up 2 toys and finally looked over to see them still sitting there... I said in a stern voice " PICK UP THOSE TWO TOYS NOW SALLY"!! The looked up to the Dad standing there, he said "has she cleaned up everything you asked? " then took her right out without saying anything else. I talked to the mom that night to explain the situation and hoped they didn't think I was always that stern but sometimes I had to be? She totally understood.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DaycareLady For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I tend to do the opposite and let things slide and especially when you are unsure how much the parent heard in the first place. Let the parent bring it up if they think they must address it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    I would agree with Playfelt. I wouldn't bring it up either. If you bring it up it almost shows that you feel guilty. I think the parents need to trust our judgement with the kids. And if they are the kind of parent that takes something like that out of text and looks for other care because of it then I don't think you want that type of parent around.

If I was the parent I would probably chalk it up to a one time occurance and watch for more red flags before I make a judgement.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I agree with Playfelt and Apples&bananas. If you say something then it looks like you are worried or that you were indeed saying something bad/wrong.
    I would stay quiet and see if the parent mentions anything or references it in the next day or so.
    If they do ask what happened this morning then say that you were just having one of those rough mornings. You are only human after all. Hopefully the parent didn't hear much. I would just be very careful the next while to make sure that this parent sees your best side

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

My husband has a very deep voice so even when he calls the kids he sounds harsh. He has learned to tone it down and to becareful especially when we are outdoors. I always try to watch my tone because I don't want my "talkers" going home saying Mimi yelled at me, though I get it Disney, I too have growled in frustration......... ..we are only human right?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Oh, I wouldn't worry about losing your daycare or the family! Take a deap breath and remember that we are all human and we all lose our cool now and then. Also, sometimes we have to be stern with the kids to get a point across. Of course, I was not there and did not hear just how angry your voice sounded, but I would be willing to bet that the parent who heard you has used an angry voice at times as well. I, like Playfelt, also keep my doors locked and the parents ring and I let them in. I have had parents come in to hear me speaking sternly (though not angrily) to their child and I figure, if they leave because of this...good riddance! If the child is misbehaving, a stern voice is needed. Again, a lot depends on exactly how your voice sounded to the other parents (ie. stern vs angry), but I would let it go and just remind yourself to be careful with your voice in future.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Yep well whats done is done, I feel less bad now. The father was nice to me and tried talking about the weather before leaving but still... I felt stupid to a third degree. The baby girls was doing just half day so he picked her up after lunch. I new he was standing there and I was with kids in the bathroom for the before nap routine and I made sure I spoke ''loud'' and said great encouragement things to the kids : like well done now dry your hands, you did peepee in the potty woowwww haha I'm crazy loll

Its more then time for spring and +10 +15 degrees to be here... I am so impatient and kids are all over the place we have been stuck inside so often this winter, but the weather is getting to me more then ever.

I will never NOT take march break on vaca anymore. Ok that doenst sound right. What I mean is from now on, I will ALWAYS take vaca during march break and we will be off to Florida every year believe me !! Or anywhere where its HOT HOT HOT. Last year at this time, I was in Florida at Disney of course and had a blast. It felt so refreshing to have some SUN it gives a little boost of energy to finish this awful winter season !!

Thank you so much ladies, I was afraid for harsh feedbacks, although I would of deserve it... but thanks for your support no matter what