Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Nearly 5 year old development

Hi everyone!

I look after a child who will be 5 in a month or so. This child has developed some odd behaviors - rocking while covering ears when loud noises(trains, dogs barking, doors slamming) occur. This child will crouch and rock very slightly while covering ears until I ask them to get up. This child has alos devloped some odd hand gestures and facial gestures that they do when upset or even while playing. Also, this child cannot do puzzles. At all. Even simple 2 or 3 piece ones that a 2 or 3 year old can put together. This kid will also get super upset about the smalest thing and pout on the couch for HOURS. Literally hours. I really like this child, but am wondering if a child can become Autistic? These behaviors have always been there, but are getting more noticable as time goes on. The child is also very lazy about trying to do things, but I;m not sure what to think. I mentioned this to mom who didn't seems concerned. Otherwise, the kid is normal enough - shares(mostly), recognizes letters/numbers, enjoys friends and playing. Thoughts?

Euphoric !
    Is this child going to JK or SK? Shouldn't the teachers at school be asking questions and talking to the parents?
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Starting to feel at home...
    The child is going to be going into kindergarten in September. So, other than parents and grandparents, I am the only other careprovider. I've never run into this sort of thing and though I'd see if others have or had an ideas as to what is going on.

Euphoric !
    I see. There is an assessment call Nippissing. Go to this link: http://www.ndds.ca/language.php

It will walk you through your province and then you can print out the proper form and fill out the assessment and ask the parents for a sit down meeting to discuss before the child enters school. You can go about it in a nice way by tell the parents that you are concerned but don't use any labels like Autism whatever you do. Parents make the final decisions for their children, but if you don't bring up the problems and the teachers at school start to ask why their childcare provider never brought it up then you might look like the bad guy. You might still look like the bad guy if you try what I just suggested. You know the family best.

I terminated a family last month because the parents heard what they wanted to hear and never heard what I was actually saying to them. Does that sound familiar? Their child needs help and I hope their new caregiver can get through to them.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post: