Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy ?

Outgoing

Pregnancy ?

Hi all !

So ... lately husband and I have been talking baby # 3. JUST talking ... What worries me is how I am going to run my daycare while pregnant. Both pregnancies have been a bit rough for me and was on bed rest at the 6 month of pregnancy. The first one was COMPLETE bed rest.

So I was wondering if anyone experienced this while managing a daycare ? How did you manage, what have you done ?

I could hire help but I really don't think I can afford it unless I raise fees. I really LOVE my families I've been opened a year now and everything is FINALY going smoothly. I would be afraid to lose it all.

I don't think we can go for a long time without the revenue either so ... Do you receive some workers compensation when you are bed rest? Last time I was employed and had LOTS of sick leave so it was not a problem but I have no idea what happens now that I am self-employed.

Anyway I’m far from pregnant yet, I still have time to figure it out but it's been on my mind for a while now and want to know what my possible options are. If you ladies have any advice at all…

Hope you are having a great day by the way

Shy
    If you are in ontario, you (as a self emplyed individual) can now pay to have unemployment insurance and then take maturnity or sick leave if needed, but you have to be claiming income...

How about hiring a nanny? For your kids and daycare children? You can right off your nanny as an expence....and you have help anytime you feel under the weather and to help after baby is born...Start one part time...

Best of luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ms.kelly For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would check into EI very carefully before you start paying into it I believe there are a few "catches" for self employed persons ..... You would probably be better hiring an ECE student for the key hours or seeing from the local high school or college about being a coop placement. Cause don't forget you only get about 55% if your income.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    As you are not an employee, you will not receive worker's comp.
    If you are going to claim EI as a self-employed person, it needs to be looked into WELL in advance. Over a year, I am sure. You need to pay into it for a certain length of time, before any claims can be made. I checked it out before my last pregnancy. For a list of reasons (not many of which I can remember at this exact second) I didn't feel like it was a good option. If I was going to pay into it, I may as well just take that money and set it aside for my own personal use, you know?
    I ran the daycare all through my 4th (and final!!) baby's pregnancy. Granted, I had previously had 3 uneventful preg/deliveries and none came early, so was not worried.
    The number one thing I would suggest is to think out ALL possible scenarios and have plans in place. Because the parents will want to know. I made sure that when I announced it, I could say "I am due in September and this is what we will be doing.... if this happens I will..."
    Perhaps you can crunch some numbers in terms of hiring someone? If you need to raise your rates to cover that, can you poll some of the dc families? See if it would be acceptable to them, temporarily?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Yeah I just seem to have very anxious babies haha. My first born was a premie at 34 weeks but I made it to the end with my second. Had to take it eay hwoever cause labor had started at 6 months. So it does not mean I WILL have problems with the 3rd one but there is a chance. ANyhoo That is why I am asking the questions now as I want to be prepared and be able to let my parents know what they can expect and avoid as much as possible loosing them. They are ALL SO GREAT and I LOVE their kids.

I think I will get in touch wiht EI just to see and maybe now that I have a more of a stable revenu I would be able to put more asside myself for a Nanny or what not... Just hope I don't owe an arm and a leg to CRA for taxes on top of everything haha.

Thanks for your advice ladies !!

Euphoric !
    I think for me, having a daycare has been good birth control...LOL. I used to think about having one more, but now I am faced with baby overload every day and I definitely know I do not want any more

Euphoric !
    I meant to add...I wish you all the best with your third! I already have three, so easier for me to stop there I hope you find a way to work it out

Outgoing
    HAHAHA I know people say I"m crazy but I just love it and I always dreamed of having a big family too.

Thanks !!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by crafty View Post
    HAHAHA I know people say I"m crazy but I just love it and I always dreamed of having a big family too.

Thanks !!
    Then I must be certifiable .... I have 5

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    How old are they Crayola ... if you don't mind sharing ? Have you been doing daycare while they were babies ?