Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

A wwyd or how would you approach this .

Hi Ladies ,

I've had this little one since the end of November , he is super easy to care for BUT the parents are brushing off my concerns.

He had pneumonia (sp) just before he started and it cleared up (and has a rattle in his chest ever since). All my other dck's were healthy before he started and since he has been here they all have been ill with flu/cold like viruses (I know it's the season).
    He is falling constantly I swear he falls all the time , when he walks he walks kind of sideways , his balance is way off .... and he has gone home with more bumps/bruises on his forehead than i'm comfortable with....

I have brought up the rattle in his chest more thank once and they attribute it to teething.... his balance "oh his ears are probably blocked " again from teething, his nose running "from teething" .

I'm really concerned and they are blaming everything on teething .

How would you approach this in a friendly but firm something needs to be done way ?

Help

Outgoing
    I wonder if he has an ear infection. I had a little who suddenly started walking sideways and it turned out to be an ear infection, she never cried or anything but that was wierd. Also, pneumonia is contagious (I didn't know this till my mom gave it to dd in the middle of summer just by giving her a kiss on the cheek and the dr told me) sounds to me that you need to tell them that he needs to be seen by a dr and you need a dr's note.

Euphoric !
    If you are really worried, I would use the rattling chest. I would tell them that you are concerned he has some sort of ongoing issue, and you request that he see a doctor. I would ask for a doctor's note within a certain timeframe (maybe one week?). The doc should check ears, etc.
    Hopefully he is ok. Is he miserable most of the time, or does he seem to cope ok?
    I would not mention the other kids being sick now, because as you said... 'tis the season. LoL

Euphoric !
    I was going to say exactly what momofnerds said, it could be fluid in the ears or an ear infection if his chest has never cleared up. He could have damage in his lungs or a chronic infection there too. Our balance is controlled in the inner ear so I would ask the parents if their doctor has mentioned or checked any of those things. Don't say "I think........" but rather say "Have you thought about........" and it will come across to them in an easier way, not that you are lecturing them, you know?
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

It may just be coincidence but it's only since he started lol ...That my kids and dcks have been ill.

He has no fevers (that i'm aware of)
    he seems happy most of the time
    My mother inlaw was here this morning and couldn't believe how much he fell in a 10 minute span ....not tripping on anything just plain old falling it's bad really bad..
    Last edited by lainey76; 03-14-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Euphoric !
    When my daughter had pneumonia last month, she had no fever. Fever is not always present with infection and I would definitely be concerned with the symptoms you described. The other ladies offered great advice. I would bring it up in a non-confrontational way...maybe mention another child you know who had these symptoms and it turned out to be an ear infection (it can be a ficitonal child...they will never know...LOL).

Expansive...
    Ugh I DESPISE the 'teething card'. I have a set of parents who blame EVERYTHING on teething. its so annoying. in your case this child's symptoms certainly are not normal teething symptoms. I would ask that he be seen by a doctor within a week but preferably sooner and to bring a doctor's note that says he is healthy etc. you need to protect yourself too-just think if something were to happen and they decided to put the blame on you for not saying anything! just sayin, you never know. he needs to get checked.

Thanks ladies

Euphoric !
    The falling could have nothing to do with the illness and he just needs his eyes checked.

We have all been sick here since Jan and it is starting a round again. Been down to 1-2 kids all week. One is out with bronchitis and other one is a cold but severe cough so likely similar. I had a sinus cold back a few weeks and I can feel it filling up again so it will be me again too. A couple have had ear infections but are also teething. We really haven't done much of anything but just mope around and play in small spurts for over a month. Easy care and super easy on the meals as no one feels like eating much.

He is 15 months .... Balance is definetly affected by inner ear issues .... My son had issues so I see the resemblance .