Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Breakfast?

Expansive...

No Breakfast?

One of my kids does not like to eat in the morning. He just doesn't. I can offer everything under the sun and maybe he'll take 2 bites. Later, at snack time he will eat a lot, and he does not mind waiting, but I get all sorts of comments.

Let it go or nag him to eat?

Outgoing
    Who comments about this? If this is a dck, do the parents know he has no appetite in the morning? or did he eat at home before coming to you?
    If this is your own child, then what you do is just fine. You know your kid best so as long as he eats shortly afterwards, at snack, then he should be fine.
    I would say dont bother nagging, it will just be more stressful on you and he still probably wont budge anyways.

Euphoric !
    Can you delay serving breakfast for a bit longer. I am assuming this is your own child and there is no reason your child has to be up and fed before daycare kids arrive so let him work on his own timetable. At the same time be mindful of future needs like out the door to school at a certain time so he needs to learn to eat before that time. He may just be the type that doesn't eat breakfast and will need something substantial for morning recess once he starts school. What happens if you serve snack for breakfast he can pick away at such as dry cereal and a favourite fruit. Make breakfast something sweet like canned fruit so he gets a quick pick me up while he eats. Personally I have a large glass of chocolate milk (nesquick) when I get up and don't eat breakfast till kids are eating snack so I know where he is coming from. Can you fool his body into thinking it is snack by letting him play as soon as he gets up and then calling him to "snack" but serving the equivalent of breakfast. Also what about just giving him a smoothy type drink with a straw that covers the nutrition factor and since most are more thirsty than hungry he might accept it. If this is a daycare child I would assume he is getting some food at home before coming and it is time to make breakfast optional serving it only to those that are hungry or skipping it and making snack earlier and more substantial.

Expansive...
    I should have been more clear, yes, this is in reference to my kid.

But when he was in daycare I would get comments about his eating habits? What is a polite way to address this?

Euphoric !
    Some kids just take longer to be fully awake in the morning before they are ready to eat. Not right or wrong just is. Just tell them he is served food when he is ready. I am assuming the comments were that he was coming to program without being fed. I have had that same discussion with parents before. I simply told them well then I guess you will need to get up earlier so he has to play and then get hungry so he can eat before coming. In a program the onus is on the parents to feed the child of if the child refuses for the child to wait till snack is offered. Doesn't mean I have to serve three helpings of snack to the child either though. What is your child doing instead of eating - sleeping in, playing, watching tv, stalling getting dressed for the day. That might give you a clue in the sense of child comes to the table and sits for the whole time whether they eat or not. There are no other activity options during mealtime. If an earlier wake up time and no distractions doesn't work then you may just have to resign yourself to his quirks and hope he is served extra at lunch to make up for it. You would be surprised how many kids will eat a granola bar in the car on the way over to my house that wouldn't eat breakfast before leaving home.

Euphoric !
    I wouldn't fret about it, but I would make him wait until snack time to eat, for sure. I would put breakfast in front of him, give him the opportunity, and otherwise put the food away until then.
    Speaking as someone who rarely eats "breakfast", I can remember being like that as a kid. Now what I am not sure of is if I was always like that, or if I was like that for a while and my parents just never enforced/encouraged my eating.
    Have you tried doing foods that aren't necessarily considered breakfast foods? Really, as long as it's nutritious, it doesn't matter what it is. I quite often (when I do eat in the morning) warm up last night's leftovers, or some such thing.

Euphoric !
    Probably a bad habit to start but what about a dish of dry cereal in front of the tv. They say we eat twice as much when we watch tv.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Probably a bad habit to start but what about a dish of dry cereal in front of the tv. They say we eat twice as much when we watch tv.
    that I totally believe *reaches for popcorn*

Just like adults, not all kids are hungry first thing in the morning. I have friends that wont eat for 2 hours after being up and others that have to eat right away. My own kids are like that... my daughter wants to eat the second she is up, my son likes to wait an hour or so (longer on weekends) so... I say let em. They will let you know when they are hungry and if that means waiting til morning snack... whatever.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    One of my kids does not like to eat in the morning. He just doesn't. I can offer everything under the sun and maybe he'll take 2 bites. Later, at snack time he will eat a lot, and he does not mind waiting, but I get all sorts of comments.

Let it go or nag him to eat?
    Count your stars I have a child like that all the time. Refuses to eat anything and everything!