Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

"growly" screaming baby

I have an 8 month old (never doing that again!) dcg who was supposed to be a "easy baby". She is .... challenging me... and I'd like to get some advice on how to handle this. She is my first, I just started up. Her mom suddenly decided to go back to work full time, so she's mon-fri 7:30-5:30.

All day long, on and off, she goes from happy to suddenly screaming/yelling REALLY loud (like a growl almost) and tensing her whole body. I know she's a baby, she's a wee one to be away from her mommy, and we're still in transition (she doesn't cry when mommy or leaves or anything, and nap time is going pretty well, just some reminders to lay down and sleep).... but I don't know what to do with it!

I say her name and "shhhhhh"... which is working now, but sometimes she's growling a whole afternoon,a nd honestly, it just grates on my nerves! It drives me nuts!

What would you do???!

Shy
    I had a similar situation when I first started up with a young one (6 months) and honestly the best thing I invested in was an Ergo Carrier. I back carried him during the cranky moments. He found this soothing as he was held snugly and the movement also calmed his body enough for him to stop crying entirely (and even fall asleep sometimes). While I understand that carrying a child around isn't ideal, I had to remind myself that he was only 6 months old and this stage was luckily short lived. Now he's a very well adjusted little boy and we have a wonderful bond/trust. The carrier itself was very comfortable and allowed me to free my hands and move around for the other children.

I know how quickly a cry like that can drain your nerves! Best of luck.

Euphoric !
    Is there any connection between feeding times and/or bowel movements and the screaming/tensing as it could also just be gas and upset stomach and especially if she is doing well at the traditional times that kids cry like dropoffs and naps.

Ask the mom if she has had any issues at home with crying and tensing or if she was colicy/gassy as a newborn.

During those times you could try picking her up and draping a blanket - something snuggly and fairly heavy like an afghan or quilt to give some weight and then hold her close till she settles. Gradually loosen the blanket till she is fine without being covered and repeat as needed.

Shy
    Thanks bunches ladies.
    Thanks for the encouragement ESD!
    Well, her mom laughed and said she thinks the baby gets the growling from the dogs. She's always been an "easy" baby.
    Baby will quiet immediately now when I say "shhhh", if it were pain, I think she wouldn't calm down. Of course, she does do it on and off all day, mostly in the afternoon. She will do it if she's ready for a bottle, so I take that as her way of telling me she's thirsty. But she doesn't do it around bowel movements (which are regular, and soft, no issues with them).
    I guess I just keep it up with the Shhhh, and hopefully it tames her.

Euphoric !
    I can't help because all I'm getting is an image of an old movie like Rosemary's Baby but that movie is older than most of you ladies, hehe. No really, I bet it is her bowels.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    I was picturing more like jungle book and living and talking like the animals. Maybe she is a young Dr. Doolittle in the making. Let's hope she works on a few more "human" sounds soon, lol.

Euphoric !
    You don't say how long she has been with you. If she has just started, then this is totally normal (despite the animal sounds...LOL). It can take weeks for them to adjust...so you just have to hang in there and keep things very very routine so she feels secure. I love my Ergo carrier as well for young babies who cry when adjusting!