Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

International couple is possibly legit, not a scam

So some of you may remember me posting about an international couple coming to work for 2 mos in Toronto and looking for part-time care for their son. In the original post I had mentioned that my "scam radar" went off but pursued it as my gut said it was legit.
    After reading all your responses about this being a common scam I freaked out and closed my bank account and put alerts with the credit bureaus. I wrote the couple and said that I would only accept a deposit from Paypal now and that we would have to Skype first (we had agreed to Skype but the timeline meant it was going to be closer to his start date). Just heard back from them and they are good with everything and we will Skype next week. They are also nervous about placing their son with someone they have never met but also said that my "cautiousness" has made them feel more comfortable and that I won't try and scam them. Oh what a world we live in. Hopefully it works out as this could be a really cool experience.

Euphoric !
    Get information about what they will be doing in Toronto and see if you can check that out somehow to confirm they are indeed coming and for how long, etc.

Euphoric !
    It's still a highly unusual circumstance. However, I'd say I'd be okay with the process so long as they aren't asking you for anything. When the scam came in my direction, it was all very suspect. First, they wanted to hire me without so much as an email conversation or description of my services. Then, they wanted me to purchase specific items for their children, for which, of course they would send me a cheque. How that works (or so I've read), they deliberately send a cheque for more than the appropriate amount for the items requested. I would then, being an honest person, send back a cheque to cover the overage. In the meantime, their cheque bounces, I'm out cash, they've got the refund. Sneaky! Another giant red flag was that the ages of the children changed at one point....very odd. If none of these things are happening AND they're not asking you to supply any items or funds, there's nothing wrong with entertaining the idea.

BUT....if they ask you for ANYTHING monetary or otherwise, I'd be inclined to cut communication. I've no doubt this situation does arise from time to time for some people. It's unfortunate that a few slimeballs have made it necessary to be suspicious of them

Good for you if it works out for real. Getting more info about them is a good idea.

Expansive...
    Honestly, I've gotten a couple families from over seas. They do send up red flags at first of course, because they are from overseas. However, I don't see the harm in persueing them as long as I don't give out personal info. If they try to send me a cheque with instructions to send some back, then of course communication is shut off. However, you have to admit that there actually may be people in the same situation spoken of in these posts. I have in the past gotten a temporary family from the UK, have had an interview with another family from UK (didn't take these ones) and have yet another with a family coming from France on Monday.

Always have your radar up (I agree) but I would look into these emails a bit further. Imagine if everyone shut down communication from every one of these families? The legitamit ones would be SCREWED or be in a seriously stressful position by having to scramble for care once they get here instead of having some leads beforehaand (like any normal parent would)

apples and bananas
    I would still be hesitant. I have dealt with these scams in my other business and they will agree to everything and anything to continue the scam. They don't just go away because you've put safety's in place.

I wouldn't even go to the extent of skype until you find out where they are working, get all of their personal information from them. Where they are staying, a reference in the area confirming they know them etc. And even then, i wouldn't go to all this work for just 2 months of part time care.

If a husband is working in Toronto for only 2 months wouldn't it make more sense for just him to travel? And leave the family at home?

At the end of the day there are too many questions and I don't have the time or energy to find all the answers. I would tell them to contact me when they get into town and we can discuss a part time temp spot.

I don't believe that anyone would set up care and send money prior to meeting with the caregiver.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

FSD

Euphoric !
    Provided that you are not giving any personal information away, and are not expending any money, you could continue to check into it, I suppose? I would be super cautious, and I am sure you will be too! BOTH parents are coming to work, but only for 2 months? Seems a little odd. Don't work permits cover an international visitor for 6 months? Why would you travel across the globe to work for such a short period of time?
    In any case, good luck!

Euphoric !
    Yes be very careful of the personal information you give them to make the deposit.

Expansive...
    Sorry I would never, it's sounds way to freaking weird. Seriously would you contact a private day home in let's say in Paris, France set it up for your child for 2 months before even seeing the space or meeting the person. HUGE RED FLAGS come in my mind.

Euphoric !
    I agree with the others. I wouldn't even entertain the idea as there are just way to many "what ifs". It is highly suspicious that they are both coming to work and need care for a child for such a short time. Be very very careful. Don't give them any info about yourself, where you live, etc. Why are they using email? Why not call? Which country do they say they live in? Are they willing to give you their phone number and address etc? I just wouldn't even want to get into it, but let us know if it ends up being legit!