Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question - Parent Deducting Fees

We had an eventful week. As you know, it's March Break here in Ontario. My three children left on Saturday to stay with my dad for the week, four hours north of us.

I'm going to try to make this short. LOL

DS had spots break out all over him, starting with a few on Sunday, and more on Monday. Tuesday, my dad took him to a walk in, and the doc told them MEASLES. I contacted all the daycare parents, and told them, which I thought was the responsible thing to do. I didn't know where it originated, whether it could have been with us or with one of them. (Turns out it wasn't measles).

Anyway, on Wed, dcb's mother decided that she wanted to take her son to his doc to be swabbed for the virus, so she didn't bring him. I took Thursday off, in case I had to go up and get the kids. I didn't. They wanted to stay at my dad's. Daycare mom texted last night and asked if I was open today. I said yes. She texted back later and said that her DH was home tomorrow (today), and that he wanted to keep dcb home.

I just got my pay, and it's two days short. I closed for one day. She is claiming that she shouldn't have to pay because she didn't want to expose her son. Here's my thing:

a) my kids weren't even HERE, and hadn't been in four days at that point
    b) I was open, and every other daycare kid came
    c) her son had already been here for two days. If he was going to be "exposed", it woulda happened already

Thoughts? It's only $35 dollars, but I want to set precedent. My contract says that if I am open, the parents pay, regardless of attendance.

My contract states "if I am open, you have the right to keep your child home, but you still have to pay for the day" just like yours.

I would tell them that it was her decision to keep her child home and still has to pay. If she doesn't pay by XXX date with late fees, then you will be have to reconsider weather or not you will be able to continue care.

Start looking for new clients, just in case she doesn't pay or decides to leave.

$35 this time + $35 every other time she decides not to pay. It will add up.

Is it in your contract that they have to pay regardless? You can't let them get away with it, they will likely take advantage as much as they can. They signed a contract they need to follow it. Tell them your children were away anyways and the other children attended, that it was theiur decision to keep their child home. Plus you told them ahead of time you were taking thursday off? She could have taken her son thursday to the doctor, not a day you were open.

My DH thinks I am being nitpicky, and splitting hairs. No? I want everyone's real consensus.

Expansive...
    Hmmm tough one. The way I do it is if one of my kids is sick ( I mean SICK, like vomiting, not just a cold...) I tell the parents about it and give them the choice. Now I have lost income because of this, but here's the thing; it doesn't take long for parents to realize that even though they tried to limit their kids exposure, the child was already exposed anyways, and then they end up having to take a whole lot of time off work. So now, when I send out an email about my kids being sick, most parents just bring their kids in anyways because they just assume that they will get sick no matter what. In your case, it's really up to you...but measles sounds like a bit more of a serious disease...if I was a parent I would be concerned....if she really wants the day then give it to her, and next time be more clear with your parents about whether or not they have the choice to pay or not.

You read the part about my son not being here, right? He's not here, and hasn't been since Saturday. If he had been here, and I thought that he had a communicable disease, I would have closed for the whole week.

Not trying to strongarm you into changing your mind, just making sure you read the part where my son is four hours away. I want honest opinions, because I really don't know what to say to her next.

Euphoric !
    Yeah, Alphaghetti....your boy wasn't there. She should pay it, period. If he's not there breathing all over everyone, there's not much concern for being exposed to the virus. Aside from that, the most contagious time is BEFORE symptoms appear, so her child was already exposed. Nothing to be done about that.

My vote - she pays for the day.

LOL I asked this same question on another non daycare board that I frequent, and one of the women said this:

Well let's spin this and pretend you run a daycare center and the kid with measles was another student who was not your child.

My daycare center would have notified me promptly of potential exposure as you did. Child would have been excluded from care, as yours was. They would have been open Wednesday, as you were. And if I had chosen to keep my child at home, I would have had to pay them for Wednesday. So I vote yes, she should have to pay.
    Yep. That makes sense to me, and alleviates any guilt I might have.

Outgoing
    I agree, she still should pay. Your son was not there and she chose to take him out to get tested. You were open, she pays. I agree, if he was in centre care, she would have to pay, and this is not any different.

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    I agree also! Your son was already away, and in a center she would be paying. She owes you that day, and letting it slide is setting a precedent that you do not want to set.