Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sharing quick, nutritious and yummy recipe

Hello Ladies,

Would you share one of your quick, nutritious and yummy recipes. If we share we could help each other for when we are in rush or or have a new clingy baby . This is my share:

Kale Chips

1 big bunch kale
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
    a pinch of chilli powder
    a pinch of salt

1.Preheat oven to 250 F. Remove steams and woody ribbing from the leaves of the kale. Tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Wash and dry.
    2.Add all ingredients to a large bowl and whisk. Add the kale leaves and toss with your hands, coating each leave, front and back .
    3.Lay the kale out on a parchment paper-covered cookie sheet.
    4.Working in batches, bake in the oven, until the chips are flat and crisp (from 17 to 25 minutes depending on how thick the leaves are). They should be as crispy as potato chips.

I make them often and keep them in a ziploc bag. I give them to the kids when they are starving and still fixing lunch or for some reason we ran late from and outdoor activity that happened before lunch.
    Last edited by Artsand crafts; 03-15-2013 at 12:31 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    That sounds awesome! I take it your kids like them? I will have to give it a try! Let me think now about a recipe I can share in return

Quote Originally Posted by Artsand crafts View Post
    Hello Ladies,

Would you share one of your quick, nutritious and yummy recipes. If we share we could help each other for when we are in rush or or have a new clingy baby . This is my share:

Kale Chips

1 big bunch kale
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
    a pinch of chilli powder
    a pinch of salt

1.Preheat oven to 250 F. Remove steams and woody ribbing from the leaves of the kale. Tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Wash and dry.
    2.Add all ingredients to a large bowl and whisk. Add the kale leaves and toss with your hands, coating each leave, front and back .
    3.Lay the kale out on a parchment paper-covered cookie sheet.
    4.Working in batches, bake in the oven, until the chips are flat and crisp (from 17 to 25 minutes depending on how thick the leaves are). They should be as crispy as potato chips.

I make them often and keep them in a ziploc bag. I give them to the kids when they are starving and still fixing lunch or for some reason we ran late from and outdoor activity that happened before lunch.

Expansive...
    It doesn't sound like anything my daycare kids would eat! I have some extremely fussy kids and it makes it 100 times more difficult due to some of the parents feeding them processed junk. I may make it for my DD who recently declined eating a hotdog at her friends house. When I asked her why she declined she said come on Mom you know there not healthy.

Just curious what do they look like? We had broccoli at lunch today and when I told the kids they were eating grasshopper surprise the ate 2nds, so funny.

My ex-picky eater son loooves them. My other kids like them too. I also like them a lot. I like the crunchy texture. My kids are under 2 years old, but I have over 2 yo before that have like them after they got used to see them often. Besides the flavor I think they like the crunchiness and the funny noises when chewing. I can see some kids will be afraid to try. Even a mom of those kids that like them did not want to try. I think it looks weird eating green chips. It looks as if you had a lettuce get dried. It looks kind of wrinkly.

Euphoric !
    LOL. I served "magic leprauchan green omelette" today and they all ate it right up...if I had instead called it "spinach omelette", I think I would have had a lot of resistance So funny how easily kids can be tricked into liking things. I will try the kale chips and think of a fun name...maybe "leprauchan chips" woud do the trick

Euphoric !
    One of my standby meals is grilled salmon sandwiches. I just take a can of salmon and mix it with a spoonful of mayonaise and a handful of shredded cheese, then spread on bread (I usually toast one side first in the broiler and then put the salmon on the untoasted side) and put in the broiler until the cheese is melted (it only takes a minute or so...it is very easy to burn them, so you have to watch carefully). All of my kids love them (although some were not enthusiastic the first time as with anything) and they are easy and nutritious

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Hahaha... When I had older kids I used to serve "fish swimming on pink mud" (beets creamy soup with fish crackers)... One of my picky eaters at that time like it a lot, but he would always ask me for seconds of "fish without mud" LOL

I will try the salmon sandwich. Sound like something the kids would like... Thanks for sharing!

Outgoing
    my kids favorite go-to meal is egg scramble...scrambled eggs, brown rice, green peppers, mushrooms, celery and little shredded cheese....empty plates everytime!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to monkeymama For This Useful Post:

Monkeymama, do you fry veggies before mixing it with the raw eggs? or are they just raw? do you dice them? That sounds like something that "I" would like. All my favorite veggies, rice and eggs. I would finish it all, too!