Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Question about market for teachers

i dont post here often but will start. but have lurking almost every day for a year! You ladies are amazing!!! originally i was opening my daycare jan 2013... that is being pushed. I can't wait to open it, its my dream but I have the opportunity financially to wait till after the summer now so am taking it just to spend another summer with just me and the kids...
    ANYWAYS.... i was thinking for the first year (cause i wont need the extra money till our other business is gone a year from now) just taking teachers... gets me into the daycare business but i can have march break, christmas, summer off.
    is there a market for this? i know every region is different but do any of you do this? or tried? do you think i could get 4 teacher kids?

There sure is a market for it. My husband is a teacher and after years and years working shift work I chose to try this out...BUT catering to teachers only. I was not full until my 6 month mark (I had 2 DCKs to start); but once the word got out I have been full (with a wait list ever since). I have never ever advertised...once you get a couple of teachers on board and are a good quality daycare word will spread bigtime. Also, I do not charge for summers/march break/2 weeks off @ Christmas...that is a HUGE draw for teachers. That said, my daily rate is at the top range in our area to compensate. I can't tell you how wonderful it is for my family to have so much quality time together now (sure with a busy almost 4 year old at home all day some days too much, ha!). We're planning a month long cross Canada road trip this summer! I would have never been able to do that before. My first year I actually did take older children (just to pay off a few debts); and I really regretted that. Money is important, sure...but family time is so precious.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Quote Originally Posted by homeschoolmom View Post
    Dream, at first did you advertise as 'teachers only' or 'teacher friendly'? I'm contemplating the same thing, as I have a teacher starting with me in September and like the idea of having summers off when my kids are home (they're all 12+).
    I've actually never advertised other than putting the word out to the teacher network around me (I am fortunate to have quite a few teachers within my immediate family and friends) that am interested in teacher's children only. I've often struggled with how I would word it should I need to advertise in the traditional sense...sounds so biased! Your wording of 'teacher friendly' sounds great!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I am not sure if charging more work would. We would all be taking teachers kids if that worked!
    If a regular daycare charged 35$ a day and just a 1-2 week holding fee for summer or christmas etc it would still be cheaper then paying someone 40$day for 38-39weeks

When i was thinking this i was thinking of still charging the $35.00 day like i normally would but taking the pay cut. Do teacher only dayhomes really charge more... cause if they do, then I am all for that but i just thought you would have to give them a deal to come to you.