Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Books

Euphoric !
    It is worth spending the extra money to buy the wooden shelves with the solid shelves and not the cloth sling type although I'm sure you could buy some fabric and remake the shelves probably.

What you might try doing is lining the shelves with a file folder or cardboard folded accordingly so that it is the cardboard the books hit and not the fabric itsel - ie no corners poking into the fabric.

Euphoric !
    We probably all have tons of books and I started out with them on an open book shelf too. Now they are in a cupboard and I set out a stack of different ones every day and try to keep them in one area on the couch. Books are slippery for little people if they are on the floor, so I'm constantly picking them up, but then I'm constantly picking up cars, blocks, doll blankets and other things that hurt their feet.....and mine!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

I just got the bookshelf from Toys R Us. Its on sale at the moment. So far it works great. I also keep all the little board books in a bin so the little kids can get a hold of them easily.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-in-alberta View Post
    I have a tall bookshelf in the reading/quiet corner. "Oldest" books are higher up, and so on, with board books at the bottom. Some vintage books (as in, books I had as a baby, LoL) on the very top shelf.
    However, I have been thinking about putting a shelf up at the calendar corner, for our "theme" books. Currently, I just keep those in a basket by my chair.
    Something like this?
    http://pinterest.com/pin/56365432807740350/
    Those shelves are awesome and cute but I haven't been able to find them at Ikea or even online at Ikea's website. I saw them a few months ago on pinterst for playroom/book storage.
    Maybe they were discontinued. They look great though

Euphoric !
    A similar kind of shelf that is becoming common is to use rain gutter to make shelves with pieces of it screwed to the wall.

I only have the board books out all the time with the other kind of book available to a select few kids and done at the table.

Pick up books at garage sales so you don't feel so bad when a 25 cent book gets ripped. Right now my teething toddlers have decided books are for chewing so they have been removed. We do not put books in our mouth period even if you are a baby.

Those shelves are awesome and cute but I haven't been able to find them at Ikea or even online at Ikea's website.
    if you go on the Ikea website and punch in Spice Racks you will find them. They are $6.00 each.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I do have tons of books...probably hundreds...and I guess that is the big issue.

The shelf in the basement seems to be working well this week. I am picking up way less books and when I need a book, I can clearly read the spines now and pick what I need.

Shy
    I used to work at Chapters for almost ten years so yeah my book collection for myself and my son is quite extensive. I have bookcases throughout our house in different rooms. In my main playroom I have one bookcase that has craft supplies, books I read for Storytime on higher shelves and then the lowest shelf has some more sturdy books. Also in my living room our coffee table has a shelf underneath that I have sturdy bins that hold the majority of our board book collection which my son loves to have easy access to at different times of the day. So I definitely will continue to have the more sturdy books accessible to everyone at any point but the books I truly treasure only I have access to them to supervise their use. I was considering getting the cloth sling bookcase but upon reading the post about it I may reconsider, my bins of books seem to be working just fine anyway.
    I have a rule the bookcases I own are all I'm allowed to have so if they are all full before I can buy anymore books I have to get rid of some books to make room. It has somewhat curbed my crazy book addiction until that is I got my kobo. hehe don't ask me how many ebooks I have now for myself. lol