Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Water Bead Questions

I'm considering purchasing some water beads to add to my sensory bin collection. Once hydrated, can you reuse them again and again? After use to you need to let them dry out flat or something?
    Thanks much!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home...
    We had them in our sensory bin for about 3 weeks. I did have to add water every once in a while. My tactile kiddos loved the feel of squishing them between their fingers and eventually they all got quite smushed. so I threw them out. I bought mine at walmart for a few dollars per bag so I didnt mind having to throw them out. it was well worth the fun.

Euphoric !
    I have heard of the water beads. But I haven't even seen them, let alone tried them. I would like too, though!
    I was thinking about getting some of the "Squishy Baff" stuff for a day's worth of play in the sensory bin.

We love water beads here! They do last along time if you encourage the kiddies not to squeeze them (I know, hard, but it's just a rule if the toddlers want to play with them here otherwise they all get broken). Sometimes they start to smell musty so I just rinse them off. Last about 3 weeks but are super cheap so it's a great activity!

Euphoric !
    Those things scare me, what are they made of exactly? Does anybody know? I've only used them one time in a vase of flowers and put too many beads in the vase. After they soaked up all the water they were popping out everywhere and I had to chase them all over my floor, duh!!! I never thought of letting the children touch them.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Instead of a large sensory table I've chosen to do small clear Rubbermaid containers that I lid and shelve and pull out as necessary. They have to climb up on a chair and use it one at a time; so that limits it to my older ones. I do have a few small bins for my babies that I give to them in their booster seats/trays. So, I was wondering how long my water bead once would keep/shelve for me. Thanks for the advice ladies

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    There was a segment on our news a couple weeks back talking about the dangers of those beads and how they are banned in many European countries. There was a girl in the US that swallowed one while it was dry and of course in her body it swelled and blocked her intestines and she had to have surgery to remove it.

Love the concept of them but as others have mentioned their use scares me.

Outgoing
    don't buy the red ones because the dye will stain your hands for a long time.

I've used water beads many times in our sensory bins. Because of the hazards though I ONLY allow my older DCK's to use them.

The ones that were the biggest hit and the most fun were the ones that glowed in the dark. You can make them glow by using a hi-lighter marker.

Take the high-lighter marker and remove the insides. Take the little cotton-like stem from the center and soak it in water. The water will immediately turn the color of the high-lighter (yellow works best). Then hydrate your water beads with the high-lighter water. I buy clear water beads for this.

Then you need a black light. Once the black light is on, the beads glow and the kids LOVE it! They will literally play for hours with them.

They look like this:

Quote Originally Posted by KellyP View Post
    I've used water beads many times in our sensory bins. Because of the hazards though I ONLY allow my older DCK's to use them.

The ones that were the biggest hit and the most fun were the ones that glowed in the dark. You can make them glow by using a hi-lighter marker.

Take the high-lighter marker and remove the insides. Take the little cotton-like stem from the center and soak it in water. The water will immediately turn the color of the high-lighter (yellow works best). Then hydrate your water beads with the high-lighter water. I buy clear water beads for this.

Then you need a black light. Once the black light is on, the beads glow and the kids LOVE it! They will literally play for hours with them.

They look like this:
    Fantastic idea! Thanks for posting!

~Anonymous~