Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Creepy people out there

I have a couple of spots available. A few weeks ago a woman called me telling me she was on my street (the number is not shown in my site, only the street) and she just wanted to show up and see the place (I asked her when she needed the care. She told me as soon as possible) She demanded I gave her the number of my house. I told her that my policy was to tell parents one day in advance if we were having a visitor. She asked me if I could make an exception and was very pushy. I asked the age of the child. She stopped talking to me and started talking someone else in another language. Then came back to me to tell me the baby was 1 month old. I told her I could not take a kid that young. She said ok and hung up. A few minutes later she called again saying that she could wait until the baby was 6 months (she told me before she needed the care right away). And she said the baby was not hers, that was a friend's baby (I think she may have realized that when she called me the first time she could not said the age of the child right away and she need to justify that) . I told her I could not hold that spot for that long. She still insisted on seeing the place. I told her I couldn't and I hung up. That really freaked me out... You never know what are the intentions of sick people out there. After that I stress the importance of the child coming to the first interview and that they have to schedule in advance. Also that I try to schedule interviews when I know my husband is here or around pick up time when I know a parent will show up.

Shy
    Hi there!

I have had calls like that also that don't seem right...I've had calls wanting to know a lot of information about my dayhome and sounding like they are opening one themselves but pretending to have the kids they are asking about when it comes to rates. Keep your guard up!

apples and bananas
    This is the exact reason I never interview during daycare hours! I offered an interview during daycare hours to one client, and it was a friend of someone I already cared for and only her child was going to be here.

You have to have another adult here. I would expect most clients would want to meet my husband anyways, since he's here several times during the day.

Good instincts to hang up on that one.

I do not think it was another provider. She did not sound like a parent, either. She was speaking to a male in another language. After all my excuses she still was sooo pushy. She was not asking me, she was telling me to give her my number.. I could not believe it...

Euphoric !
    I haven't run into anybody this weird thank goodness. Very smart and quick thinking on your part dealing with this strange woman Artsandcrafts.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Starting to feel at home...
    That is creepy....Is there any way you could trace the phone number ? (*69) Or maybe notify other caregivers in your area if you belong to a local caregivers group ? Good on you for picking up on the weird vibes and reacting the way you did.

Unfortunately I do not have caller Id in my cell phone. I did not know I could not dial *69. I do not think there is any caregiver association in my area (I live north of Toronto). I was so scare after the 2nd call. I was just making and image in my mind about what could I have left in the front yard that will point out my location to these people (sometimes I leave my Quad stroller in there)... A few days after telling a fellow provider about this incident it sound right to post it in this Forum where is the only place I can reach more providers (just in case you any of you find yourself in a similar situation)...

Expansive...
    I had a petifile call me last year and it was through this site where a police report was filed. If someone calls and it comes up as private I never answer my phone. I always call back one I have a number and a name.

I think I will consider getting a caller ID and calling people back. Thanks for the tip Skysue. Did they catch the guy? How did you know it was a pedophile? That it is soo scary. I know how you may have felt...

Euphoric !
    That is scary! I hope that it was just a misunderstanding...s ometimes cultural differences can lead to miscommunication (in some cultures people are much more "pushy" and there could have been a language problem that lead to changing the age of the child?). However, I would have been creeped out too and you handled it very well by not giving any further information. I also would not have given them my address. I don't do interviews during daycare hours and I certainly don't do drop-in interviews. If you are trul interested in my daycare, call or email me and set up an appointment. This is a good reminder to all of us that we need to be very careful who we let into our homes and when (ie. not when we are alone with children).