Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Dck doesn't speak

I have young kids of my own but can't remember for the life of me when their vocabulary began. I have a 19mth old dcb who has a vocabulary of 3 words!!! This is a bit strange to me but like I said, can't really date back to when mine began saying words. There are other issues with this dcb that lead me to believe that he is slightly behind the other kids but I am by no means trained to make that call so please don't judge just think he should be speaking a bit by now. Can't eat with a spoon or fork yet either which is a bit frustrating too...just don't get parents who baby their kids and do things for them just cuz it's faster and easier. What are your thoughts on this as a provider and mom perhaps??

I have a dcg and dcb who were slow to talk and then suddenly they were chatting away. Some kids just take their time. I also have another dcg who just turned two and doesn't speak much and when she does her pronounciation is really poor. She says uhhhh for yes, so I always ask her to say yes and encourage other words from her as well as repeating the alphabet with me. Her parents don't work with her and also slap her hands away when she tries to self feed. (a client relative told me this) Here she self feeds. So yes, I am finding alot of parents are keeping their children in the "baby zone" far to long.

Euphoric !
    I have a little dcgirl who didn't talk until about that age, but she's caught up now. Does this child understand everything you say because that's important. He's probably going to all of a sudden start talking in a few months, I wouldn't worry yet. All children are different but by age 2 they should all be walking and talking and pretty much caught up. I had a dcb start talking really early, yet he didn't seem to understand any instructions or listen to what I was saying, so that was worse in my opinion. If they understand us and co-operate that's great.

I only have the children start practicing with utensils at about age 2 and don't even worry about it. They can learn at home too you know.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    One of my kids was barely understandable at 2 and a half. But by 3 he was chattering away, complete conversations.
    Just continue to encourage words, it will come.
    (I have an 18m old of mine that is just now beginning to speak, also)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I have an almost 3 dcg who doesn't speak well but it's coming. I think it's more important that they understand what you're saying. Ask the little one if he can get you a red ball, touch your nose etc..

Starting to feel at home...
    my son is 18 MO and he says maybe 5 words.... an other child in my care is 17 MO and only has 2 words in his vocabulary...! but they understand very well and ''baby talk'' ALOT! it will come eventualy

Euphoric !
    I would say that is still in the normal range. I have a dcb who just turned 2 and I was really worried as he wasn't talking at all, but suddenly it's like he has flipped a switch and he is saying all kinds of words and repeating many things...it's like he woke up one day and realized he could talk instead of just babbling He was also slow to walk (19 months) and slow to spoon feed etc. Part of it is babying from parents and part of it is just genetics. However, if the child isn't talking by 2, the parents should talk to their doctor about it just to be safe.

Euphoric !
    What the child understands of what you say is more an indicator of learning issues than what they can say at this age. They are still within normal as there are so many factors that determine how fast a child picks up language. But they should also be understanding what you say and able to process and do what has been asked.

Shy
    I have a 23 month old boy who is barely talking, he can understand me and follow instructions but doesn't talk.

It will come with time and his mom knows my concerns. We are working on it with him using verbal exercises and learning videos. It is coming.