Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    You are definitely NOT a failure, maybe you are doing way too much? I don't plan different things for the different age groups, I use the flash cards, finger puppets, feltboard games, etc. for the entire group and expect the babies to learn a wee bit each time as the months pass until finally they will be able to participate also. Same for crafts, the older children can do most of their own crafting and I do hand over hand glueing, stickers, etc with the babies but they do their own colouring and painting but I have them paint one at a time so I can monitor closely while the others play.

Here's an example. When I sing twinkle, twinkle little star to the group I open and close my hands for twinkling and today my 12 month old baby girl who has been with me less than a month started doing it. I was blown away. Repetition works, even with babies.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    Maybe with time you will get used to the new rythm and it will get easier. It IS busy with 5 full-time, I agree. I have 6 because my own daughter is home too and sometimes 7 when my son is home from JK. Sometimes I feel like all I do is clean, change diapers (I have 5 in diapers), resolve disputes,etc. But I always try to pace myself and remind myself that it is more important to sit down and have some cuddles and quality time than to do that craft we had planned. I do art time, but it is very simple so that we can all do it together, or I give the older kids one thing and give the younger ones crayon and paper or stickers. I do pom poms with the whole group at the table...the 1 year olds absolutely love putting pom poms into wipes boxes and dumping them out...the older kids can make patters, sort, count, etc, but also love the wipes boxes. When one kid loses interest, I let them go off and play...but I am lucky in that I have a set-up that allows me to do that. I think in general I find it fine...only when it's time to get ready to go outside I find it a bit crazy getting 7 kids into snowsuits (thank goodness three of them can do it without help!).

Expansive...
    Hi! Please don't ever feel like a failure.....your kids are happy and having fun!!! They are learning all the time, even if you are not sitting down with them individually!

I have 1 3 year old, 2 1 year olds, 1 11 month old plus my own 3 year old and 10 month old. Another will be coming when she turns 1 in July. So I will have 7...the oldest being 3. I do lots of reading, singing and dancing. Most of our time is free play, inside or out. I am always on the floor counting cars, sorting blocks, building towers etc. Always time for cuddles and tickles.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have 2 most of the time, sometimes I have 3 but today I had 4 plus my son.... and I had SO much fun! I feel like I am less tired, the day went by SO quickly and of course my house is messy... but I'll just clean up tonight tomorrow we are back to 2... and I think it will be a longgg day!