Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

3yr old DCB peeing during diaper changes....

I'm this close to terming this family. I have dealt with several behavioural issues with this one dcb whom I have had in care since he was 20 months old.

I have dealt with each issue with this child from aggressive behaviour, pushing, biting, personal space. It comes and goes in waves. I have had a couple of meetings with the parents in the past 6 months. They have tried to be helpful and follow my advice. Although DCB is very coddled, an only child and wears the pants in his family. So this makes it very hard to enforce rules at home (the mom actually told me that dcd is a pushover..really?? Like I didn't see that from day one

Whereas most daycare providers would have termed by now (rightfully so) I continued to work through "workable" issues. However...DCB's new bag of tricks (it actually started a month ago)...when I am changing his diaper...he will pee

He is 3 next month. He has used the potty before (he regressed) and can control his bowels (He will hide and go in the same spot, around the same time each day).

The first time this happened I was like...."okay...mayb e the cool air or something?" We talked about it, how that is not acceptable and that it won't happend again! So the next time and everytime after that I've asked "DCB...do you have to pee-pee before I take your diaper off" this is whilst he is lying down with pants off my hand on his diaper tab...every time "noooooooo" Well..he did it again 2 weeks ago. I handed him a diaper wipe and told him to clean up his legs. He freaked and had a tantrum..probably cause I thwarted his attempts and he did not manage to pee on me I put him in a timeout after that and agian we talked about it.

This afternoon....same thing...I had him lying down we were chatting causually and asked again..."do you have to pee?" his response..."Nooo" So I take the tabs off and go to grab a wipe and a steady stream of yellow urine pools on his belly. I quickly cover him. Then gave him a couple of wipes to clean himself. He even puts on his own pull ups and pants. The child is perfectly capable...

So dcm comes to pick up. I relay what happened. Told her in no uncertain terms...if it happens again, I'm terming our contract. I don't tolerate disrespect and I certainly don't like being peed on by a 3 year old. Geeze that's one of the reasons I don't take infants

Would you term for this type of behaviour?

Euphoric !
    uummmm why is he not trained....clearly he knows ....I would tell mom she needs to train him this weekend and if hes not trained by the end of the weekend take the week off and train him. it can be done. I trained my last three kids over a weekend. you put thick training undewrware on the kid and keep a potty in the kitchen or wherever you spend most of your time and he will pee himself a few times and then he will go in the potty....but the parents have to be firm ...and since hes over three and clearly knows when he has to go give him a time out when he soils his pants. when it affects or inconveniences the parents (taking time off work) they will get it done. and yes im not interested in changing the diapers of a three year old and even less interested in getting peed on so I would give notice if they don't have him trained by the end of the easter weekend

Euphoric !
    Crayola is right! I agree. Be tough and it's more than time for you to put your foot down. I have a little boy who just turned 3 and he's about 1/2 way trained, dry all day sometimes, wet sometimes when I take him to the potty but he still stands there and tries to pee again. It certainly sounds like your dcboy knows exactly what he's doing. It's funny that you said your dcboy stands in a corner and poops because that is EXACTLY what the little boy here has been doing since he's been here, about 9 months now, so I know when he's going to poop but it's different times every day so I have to watch him for hiding or THE LOOK, you know what I'm talking about! Sooooo frustrating.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Great advice Crayola and momof4, but this issue is about this dcb peeing on purpose, just after I asked him prior to removing his diaper. He is being defiant and very disrespectful. I would not term for not using the potty, but for purposely trying to pee on me.

As soon as it happens again....there will be a termination notice in hand at pick up.

Euphoric !
    the point was he shouldn't be in a diaper in the first place and he should be reprimanded for peeing anywhere but in the potty or toilet...period...

Expansive...
    I would be sitting him on the toilet then take his pull up off and make him pee in the potty. He sounds like he's in full control of things to me.

Ditto with what crayola said give them till easter weekend, ifno improvement then hasta la vista, baby.
    Last edited by Skysue; 03-19-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Euphoric !
    I would be changing him on the potty too. If using a diaper stand him at the toilet and put it through and up. If using a pullup then have him sit on the toilet using a ring with the front guard.

Asking him if he has to pee is kind of like goading him into doing it just to spite so for sure stop asking and start telling him. I would just do the potty thing and say nothing while doing it. He knows what he is to do. I would just do it quick and move on with the day. As soon as he learns that no one cares so to speak he will start to do stuff for himself and not hold back because of others if that makes sense.

But at the same time this is symptomatic of where his behaviour is headed and that would be grounds for termination.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Does he look right at you, with that "haha, got you" attitude? (We all know which look I mean, LoL)
    Or is there any chance that this is still due to a combination exposure to cool air and being reminded about the body function?
    You know what, either way, I would start doing the changes in the bathroom, as the others suggested. He doesn't lie down like the babies do, he is a big boy so he goes in the bathroom. Whip the diaper/pullup off and he is on the potty. He can do his peeing in there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mom-in-alberta View Post
    Does he look right at you, with that "haha, got you" attitude? (We all know which look I mean, LoL)
    Or is there any chance that this is still due to a combination exposure to cool air and being reminded about the body function?
    You know what, either way, I would start doing the changes in the bathroom, as the others suggested. He doesn't lie down like the babies do, he is a big boy so he goes in the bathroom. Whip the diaper/pullup off and he is on the potty. He can do his peeing in there.
    This is exactly what I have been doing! Straight into the bathroom, rip off the pullup and on the potty seat he goes. Now on day 2 of this routine, he does it himself. Takes off his pull up, than afterwards, puts a new one on and pulls up his pants. Little stinker has been LAZY. And if he pees on the floor...than he will be responsible to clean up. I do not think dcb is going to try to have a pee "accident" on Ms. Other Mummy again

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post: