Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    I don't know why many providers are angered by this! If the parent went to work the child would be in daycare anyway...if they want to do something else it doesn't make a difference to the child or to me as a provider as long as they are still picked up by the regular time. If they want to spend extra time with the child that's wonderful, but if they maybe need to rest or do some errands, maybe the child is better off at daycare than with a stressed out, burnt out parent.

Quote Originally Posted by daycare woman View Post
    Oh Judy I felt the same way, and have also learned to except but still don't have to like it! But don't pick your kids up at 5:00 or after cause boy that tickes me off. Really, come on.... breathe....
    Yeah, I always find that parents always tend to pick up the kids at the last possible minute I am open when they are off work.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroomama View Post
    I don't know why many providers are angered by this! If the parent went to work the child would be in daycare anyway...if they want to do something else it doesn't make a difference to the child or to me as a provider as long as they are still picked up by the regular time. If they want to spend extra time with the child that's wonderful, but if they maybe need to rest or do some errands, maybe the child is better off at daycare than with a stressed out, burnt out parent.
    Well said! It's really hard to make jusdments when you haven't walked a day in someone elses shoes!

I actually think the kids have a hard time with it. I do. Kids are very perceptive. They KNOW when the smallest bits of the routine are off. So, when a parent does this my experience has been that the child is a bit "off" that day. The child KNOWS. And we get to deal with that child all day who is "off" and noticing the change.

I don't know. I guess I just cherish my time with my kids. If I had to be away from them 50 hours a week I would want every extra second I could get with them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    It really annoys me only because if I close down for a day to get stuff done it effects 4 families! So it would be super nice to at least make it a half day for me and lighten my load. That said, I'm being paid so I get it, but it's the frustrating part of this job!

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post

I don't know. I guess I just cherish my time with my kids. If I had to be away from them 50 hours a week I would want every extra second I could get with them.
    I feel the exact same way. I cherish every day with my daughter and if I had to leave her to go to work, I sure wouldn't be leaving her in daycare longer than I can avoid. Both sets of parents that are with me right now do this. I personally don't get it or would ever do this, no matter how hard it might be to clean with my kids. In the long run they are the ones missing out on such a precious time that goes by way too fast.

Expansive...
    WOW there sure seem to be strog feelere about this. I have been in both sides of teh spectrum too and understand both sides but I think it is kind of irrational for a provider to expect that the parent keeps a child home every single vacay day,. I can understand and would hope they would do some but not all.

From the parents poinbt of view....they are paying for the day regardless and that affects their decision too.

I have a parent who just approached me and told me that they will be off one day a week all summer long. This parent said that they will still send their DCK to daycare as normal UNLESS I decide to not get paid for that day and then the parent would 'be glad to' keep the dck home with them on one day a week until Sept.

So...the parents do seem to want time with their kids but it seems they also want something for their money. It is a toughie. I feel like saying a flat out no to this parent but on the other hand I feel like a monster if I am denying this child more time with their parent based on my finances.
    Grrrrr

I have done it and left my child with daycare when I was off (as per my earlier post) but I always thought it was good to come pick up early those days to see my child. I didn't really care if I was giving the daycare person a break - I did it because I felt bad not to use at least some of the day for more quality time.

Shy
    It's they hypocracy I have a problem with. God forbid I ever said I was taking a personal day let alone when I closed because I had to go for some very invasive medical testing - the grumbling and complaining about how hard it is for them to make alternate arrangements is ridiculous. I was even asked if I could take one anyway because it would be easier for them. Hello?! So yeah, I have a problem with parents dropping their kids whether they pay or not and whining when I need a day.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by BCParent View Post
    It's they hypocracy I have a problem with. God forbid I ever said I was taking a personal day let alone when I closed because I had to go for some very invasive medical testing - the grumbling and complaining about how hard it is for them to make alternate arrangements is ridiculous. I was even asked if I could take one anyway because it would be easier for them. Hello?! So yeah, I have a problem with parents dropping their kids whether they pay or not and whining when I need a day.
    But the parent has gone through all the channels to get their vacay day approved.....their have probably had to fill out a day off request, get it signed by two managers and gotten the approval. It is not much easier for parents to get the day off than it is for providers.
    Also parents have only a certain number of vacay days i.e 10 per year and they may have already planned those out or used them up and not taken into count that you might have an emergency day or a personal day you need.
    I always try to give parents 4 week's notice of any day I need to be closed. Doctor appts are usually booked far in advance and same with dentists etc. I have never had a parent grumble as long as they are given notice. Of course...for emergencies I have had to call the night before and heard their tone sound a little stressed but all parents are told there could be an emergency i.e sickness, funeral, death and they are unavoidable.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    WOW there sure seem to be strog feelere about this. I have been in both sides of teh spectrum too and understand both sides but I think it is kind of irrational for a provider to expect that the parent keeps a child home every single vacay day,. I can understand and would hope they would do some but not all.

From the parents poinbt of view....they are paying for the day regardless and that affects their decision too.

I have a parent who just approached me and told me that they will be off one day a week all summer long. This parent said that they will still send their DCK to daycare as normal UNLESS I decide to not get paid for that day and then the parent would 'be glad to' keep the dck home with them on one day a week until Sept.

So...the parents do seem to want time with their kids but it seems they also want something for their money. It is a toughie. I feel like saying a flat out no to this parent but on the other hand I feel like a monster if I am denying this child more time with their parent based on my finances.
    Grrrrr

I have done it and left my child with daycare when I was off (as per my earlier post) but I always thought it was good to come pick up early those days to see my child. I didn't really care if I was giving the daycare person a break - I did it because I felt bad not to use at least some of the day for more quality time.
    All I can say is that days where I left my DH for a few hours at the daycare inorder to power clean it gave me a full afternoon of 100% alone time with my little one! Otherwise I would have had a day of cleaning with only giving her 1/2 of my attention. I just wish my daycare parents felt the same way! All I can say is some people will have major regrets down the line as they are only little once!