Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Outgoing

Parents that have a day off bringing kids to day home

How do you feel knowing that a parent has a day off but still drops their kid off for care?

Starting to feel at home...
    I have 2 kids that are here on a rotating schedule. Once every 2 weeks they come in when their parents are off. They use it as a day to get stuff done around the house, go to appointments, get the shopping done, etc. I love it because I get paid (yay!) and they usually are picked up early since the parents are not on any schedule.

Expansive...
    I have done this as a parent. I would have the day off but book myself a physical or have errands to run or decide to steam clean the carpets in my house so I would still send my child(ren) to their daycare....or I would go have a nice lunch with my husband just the two of us and take in a movie with him and have a date.
    I didn't want the daycare to judge me so I would still dress as if I was going to work and drop off as usual.
    BUT I would usually go pick up a couple of hours early and use the chance to do a surprise arrival and pickup. That way I still got some extra hours with my child, got to check on the provider too. I would tell the provider I got off early or something.

Of course this would be just a one day or two day a year thing. There were other days where i would have vacation or book days off to be with my kids and just spend a good day with my kids. I would let my provider know and they would still get paid for the day of course. It was worth it. I especially always made sure to take off my kids' birthdays so I could be with them and have a mommy and me day.

I can see why people would need some time to themselves to do errands etc

But now that I am a provider --it has been interesting to flip the coin and see parents blatantly tell me they are off and then still drop off and pick up at the very end of the day. Once I even had two parents have the day off...tell me they are off...and still drop the child off on their birthday just so they could get ready for a party...or parents who still come right at 5 when they have been off all day....but what can you do?

Euphoric !
    I have no problem with this...I figure they have paid and it is up to them what they do with the time. I do not judge as I know that some people just need that time to be refreshed and be able to take care of their kids properly.

Euphoric !
    Parents are paying for the day and are entitled to use it. My only requirement is that you be honest with me and make sure I know how to reach you. Now that cell phones are so prevalent it isn't as much of an issue but what is the point of calling a parent at work and leaving a message on their answering machine only to find out they won't be into the office all day and will never know why you were trying to reach them. I remind the parents that while we all like days off that I make myself available to them and do not take working days off to just do my own thing. As such I expect honesety, availability by cell phone and appreciate the perk of them picking up early. I would be very hurt if a parent felt they had to deceive me. On the other hand it makes for a better day for the child if the child thinks the parent is going to work as normal. As for coming early to check up on us - that is where the honesty works in my favour - I know what days a parent might come early. Also I have parents that when they are off will come early and hang out with us to play for a bit and I like most of my parents. I love the adult conversation that goes with it. I have a parent on mat leave that will likely come by after naptime and hang out with us as she kept the car today since baby has a doctor's appointment. She asked me this morning if it was ok. The baby will start care with me in Sept so it is nice to have the child come as often before too. Guess a lot depends on the parents you have if you can stand to have them around. We are usually outside at the end of the day and it isn't uncommon for kids not to want to go when the parents come and the first parents are still around chatting when the last ones come.

Expansive...
    I have done it. Running errands with kids takes 2x as long.

Quote Originally Posted by mlc1982 View Post
    How do you feel knowing that a parent has a day off but still drops their kid off for care?

I hate it. I don't understand it.

But, I have resigned myself to just accept it. If I got upset every time a parent dumped their child in daycare while they are off to just go home or have a ME day etc etc I would be angry all the time. Not worth my time.

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post

But, I have resigned myself to just accept it. If I got upset every time a parent dumped their child in daycare while they are off to just go home or have a ME day etc etc I would be angry all the time. Not worth my time.
    This is how I feel. Exactly. Mainly because if I need a day, I get the 'But what am I going to do? I depend on you. I need you. My kid needs to go to daycare as it's part of their routine. How come you need a day off? I have to go to work. I have no one to take the kids if you don't. etc., etc.' routine which is NOT FAIR. I'll take your kid so you can have a 'me' day because you're paying me but have a little courtesy not to complain if I need to recharge once in a blue moon, you know?

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post

I have been on both sides of the spectrum so I do understand as a working Mom that it hepls to power clean with out a child. I did do it once or twice when my little one was in care but let me tell you I only dropped her off at daycare for like 3 hours! The guilt I felt really sucked. For parents that can do it for a full day I think it's really selfish.

I have parents that pick up ther little one at 5:15 take him home feed him dinner then put him to bed at 6:30 until 6:30am. That makes me feel really sad! Why have kids then!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Oh Judy I felt the same way, and have also learned to except but still don't have to like it! But don't pick your kids up at 5:00 or after cause boy that tickes me off. Really, come on.... breathe....