Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transitioning

apples and bananas

Transitioning

I have a family off on mat leave right now. I still have the older child a few days a week. The younger is coming into care later this summer. I would normally do some transition days for both the parent and the child with a new family. However, I'm wondering if it's nessasary or worth it.

I have a very packed schedule right around the time that mat leave ends, and unless someone leaves for vacation I'm not even sure I'll have room for transitioning.

However, since it is the summer and we usually end our days outside I'm wondering if it would help the child if I invite mom to come and pick up 1/2 an hour early, let the little one play in the yard with the other kids and me. This will, hopefully, get the little one used to me and feel more secure that big brother is there.

Normally I'm not a fan of parents being here when I'm working, but I don't mind so much with this parent. It would probably be her preference to be here as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions how I can fit in transition time with a packed schedule?

I don't do an transition period. every kid I have gotten has started off "cold turkey". It just always worked out that they needed the spot and there was no time to transition the kids/parents.

personally I wouldn't do it. As for the parent coming early, don't really see how this would help the kid since the mom is there. If you are ok with the mom being there and the mom wants it, then I don't see how it would hurt, but I really don't see how it would help either. The kid will see the mom so will not be focus on you or the other kids the same if the mom was not there.

I have a mom on mat leave who brings her daughter twice a week. Each time she comes she brings the baby who will be starting in June. At each drop off and visit I engage the baby with smiles and a talk so when she starts she will be comfortable as she has seen me each week so I am not a stranger to her.

apples and bananas
    This is the first time I'm starting a child that has an older sibling already in my care. I'm hopeing it will be an easier transition.

I have found in the past when I transition 12 month olds they cry all day regardless of the transition period. I don't know if it cuts down on the amound of crying, or only prolongs the time it takes them to get comfortable.

I also think transition is mostly for the parents benefit. Both of my current mat leave parents are used to me transitioning in slowly, but I'm not a fan of it anymore. I'm wondering how I can word it to them so they're comfortable with cold turkey.

I like the idea of the baby coming at pick up. I think that's all they will need, especially with a sibling here! But i'm not sure that's all mom will need.

Euphoric !
    What actually works out well is to switch kids a few days so that mom has some alone time with older child and you take the baby. That way when the baby cries the whole day getting settled the older child isn't as upset by it all.

Normally the baby comes for drop offs and pickups and all the kids rush over to them so they are bombarded by the kids from the get go. As the time gets closer sometimes the mom will come early to pick up and come in and let baby out on the floor to crawl around and then stays till other kids start going home then goes too. That seems to work the best for me.

Euphoric !
    A note on transitioning criers - got a new one starting this week and the only time he is happy is when he is sitting on my lap helping me check emails - how nice is that. But it may be an activity he has done with mom since very early on so for those transitioning checking out the google homepage might just calm them down.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Haha, that is kind of funny!!!
    I am also a "cold turkey" supporter. I think it will be better if you are interacting at drop-off/pick-up, like the other poster said. At least you will be a familiar face that way.

Euphoric !
    I agree with the switching of kids idea !!! I'm going to be getting the younger sibling if one currently in care starting on oct. the older one comes part time now and I didn't try to fill the left over days I'm just enjoying having a couple of lighter days a week so I will be able to bring the baby in on opposite days that the older child comes before mom actually goes back to work.