Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Starting to feel at home...
    Just curious, how are thoes of you who are pregnant or just delivered doing? How are you finding caring for all the dck as you get further along in your pregnancy or with a newborn? I'm getting nervous, I'm only 6months along but I'm finding its getting way more difficult than I anticipated, especially with the toddler (16m). I've done it before, my son was 17m when my daughter was born, and I survived, but man, I"m tired (already not sleeping at night), stressed, getting tons of Braxton Hicks, and very short on my patience... I guess 7 kids to look after (5 + my own 2) while preg is a bit more difficult than 1 toddler... what was I thinking?

Euphoric !
    I'll bet with your son you sat down and rested some yourself while he was napping, etc. Doing daycare we don't let ourselves do that as much as we should. In the grand scheme of things the kids will not be harmed for life if you don't play ring around the rosie for the next 4 months. Keep your schedule flexible and low key. You are actually at the worst part because of the position of the baby. The baby should soon make a drop and then you will sleep, bend, sit, move a lot better. I have 4 kids and I started daycare when my own were 18m and 4 m and the next two were born into the daycare. You need to give yourself permission to look at what is important in your program and what can wait or is just extra fun, you need the parents to be on board believing that continuity playing with friends for a few months is more important than visits to the museum and recreating a lunar escape in the playroom. Again give yourself permission to proceed slowly.

Outgoing
    I am due on the 20th of October, I have an 18m old son, 2 ft dck, and 2 pt dck.
    I am so WIPED by 5pm that I can hardly make supper or get my own son entertained until his bedtime. Luckly my husband is off quite a bit and helps out. When he comes home early (around lunchtime) he hangs out while the others are napping, and I go for a nap myself. This helps me make it thru to the evening.
    I told my parents back in April when I first opened actually and they were all fine with it. They all have plans to take dck to Grandmas, or dad is taking last minute vacation. I am taking 2 weeks off after baby comes. My husband will then be on parental leave for 9 months! Woo Hoo!!! He loves the kids and will definetly help me out.

Euphoric !
    I just had a baby on the 15th of Sept. I told all parents fairly early on (see my earlier post). I went into it fully expecting that I may lose some, or all, families. I took the entire month of September off, as I was due on the 9th. Ideally, I was to have about a week off pregnant, and then have about 3 weeks off before opening again. Baby J, unfortunately had other ideas. She was a tad late, so I ended up only having 2 weeks before the d/c kids came back.
    I got through the pregnancy okay, by realizing that it will not kill the kids to have more free-play and less "structured" activities. I had to remind myself to take breaks when I needed, and when we played outside, etc I made a point to sit down and relax when I could. Parents were super understanding, and I had lots of help from my hubby, whose job is pretty flexible. I have managed the last couple weeks in the same way. I wrote up a note for all parents before we closed for the month, reassuring them that even if we don't go outside quite as often, or do as many crafts, etc; their kids are still getting the quality care and attention that they always did.
    The only cruddy thing is; 2 days before we opened, I found out that one family wasn't coming back. I was pretty choked, because I found it very rude that they didn't consider giving me more notice. But I wasn't totally shocked.
    I would say, also; remind your parents to have BACK UP CARE. If you should need to close early, or something happens that you cannot open as soon as you planned on it, don't let them guilt you into taking care of kids under those kind of circumstances. I had back up plans and constantly asked the parents to do the same. Just remember that your health, and baby's, is more important!!

Shy
    with my youngest I told my daycare families early on - i wanted them to know in case something had happened. anyways it was a booked section - i had 3 families- 2 of them actually went to my mom's house ( she had an inhome daycare at the time - for 18yrs) i finished 5 days before my scheduled section - which was in may- i took off until sept - the first day of school actually. it was fine going back- i was able to really heal - the one family decided to not come back. It all worked out in the end.