Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baby Bonnet

Starting to feel at home...

Baby Bonnet

Has anybody heard of a baby bonnet before being used? I have a mother in my care who is really into attachment parenting/micro-managing and there is always something 'wrong' with her child? Any thoughts about the use of a baby bonnet? Personally I think it is over the top and am not sure what to tell her... any thoughts?

Euphoric !
    What exactly is the bonnet supposed to do - sorry not aware of this. I know there are padded helmets made for kids so they don't hurt themselves so baddly when they fall while learning to walk. My special needs daughter had one as a 4 year old through her therapist and a few years after that they started appearing in kid friendly prints in toysrus but I haven't seen them in use for awhile. There are also helmets meant to prevent kids that sleep on their back from getting a flat head. Guessing you are talking about something totally different though since both of these would be doctor ordered for a specific reason.

Hi Playfelt, thank you for responding. The baby bonnet is exactly what you are describing but it is for her child to wear outside because the mother believes that if he falls on the concrete he may crack his skull open. I guess the bigger issue for me is that there is constantly 'something wrong' with her child. I won't go into details as I feel I am going to terminate her as the demands of her child are becoming too much and are taking away from the other four children in my care. Thanks again for any thoughts on the matter

Sounds like she might be a first time parent, paranoid about practically everything, not aware that bumps on the head are a part of being a kid. Thankfully, all my parents are really laid back, even my first timers. I wouldn't be able to handle a micro managing parent, questioning everything. They need to trust that I provide a safe environment for their child but yes there will be times when their child might get a bump, cut or bruise. I think the baby protective hat is a bit silly, but it sounds like there are other things that this parent is doing as well. So I suggest you go with your instinct on this one. If it's affecting your care of the other kids and just causing you stress, then I would terminate.

Parents child raising "values" have to work with yours as well. The closer they are in similarity, the easier it is on everyone. I don't think attachment families would pick me, because I was never one and I wouldn't be carrying their child around on me during the day either, but I'm honest about all that and I try and find parents who are similar in their approach as to mine.

Good luck!

I have never heard of anyone using one of those! In fact, I have never even seen a child with one on, and I live in a very large city. I would ask her about her concerns, and let her know what your thoughts are too. You guys have to be on the same page if you're going to be coparenting her child.

ETA: Just wanted to chime in about something - Attachment Parenting and micromanaging have nothing to do with one another, nor do I know any AP parent who uses a helmet. In fact, I raise my children with the principles of AP, and I am more of a "freerange" momma than anything.
    AP has to do with being sensitive and responding to the needs of your child. Think - no crying it out, cosleeping, feeding on demand kinda thing.

This woman's issues are her own, and nothing to do with anything that Attachment Parenting advocates.
    Last edited by Sandbox Sally; 10-28-2011 at 01:09 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

I agree with alphaghetti that micromanaging and attachment parent are two separate things. This woman may be both however and I think most people would avoid the micromanaging parent. Like she said though, both parents have to be on the same page. If she's a micromanager I would have to terminate and as I said before if she was an attachment parent, she probably wouldn't choose me, as I don't have a problem with children crying it out a bit, I don't believe in the family bed thing or as I said carrying the young child around on me. It all depends on your own views and getting like minded parents.

Expansive...
    That sounds way out there to me! If she micro manages her child then she will try and micro manage you! I would say goodbye based on that! Poor child.

Maybe suggest a large hamster ball, like the bubble boy uses! Sorry I couldn't resist!

Expansive...
    I have seen them, and promptly laughed... It is one thing when a child is wearing one for a medical need another thing when the child is wearing it because the mom is so overbearing.