Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dreamtree

Reactions to pregnancy

Hello everyone!

Just wondering for those of you who became pregnant while running your daycare, how did you attend to the situation with parents? How did they react? I am just thinking ahead at this point but am very curious to know.

Thanks so much for any info!

Starting to feel at home...
    I told both parents that are with me when I was around 3 months. I was a little nervous how they would react seeing as I haven't been doing this for too long. One was very happy for us and fine with the time off I will need, the other wasn't quite as happy because she needs to find someone for when I take time off.

Dreamtree
    Thank you for your reply Marie. I have just enrolled children for september...this isn't a concern right now, but I just think it is something to think about. How long did you take off?

I've taken off a month after the baby is born. After I have the baby I will have four kids total in my care, including my own, so I'm hoping it will be as manageable as I think it will be.

Dreamtree
    You know what you are comfortable with...it sounds very manageable. I have to keep reminding myself that there are always growing pains with any new endeavour!

Euphoric !
    I am currently preg with baby #4, a little over 7 months along right now.
    I told the parents fairly early on, probably only 8 weeks pregnant or so? I had to, because I was starting to show already, ugh. So I wanted to be upfront as soon as possible. The only thing I made sure of; was that I had already thought about what my "plan" was going to be. It would not have felt fair to break the news and say "not sure what's happening yet!".
    I am due September 9, so I will be taking the entire month off. Re-opening the first weekday of October. I will have the same hours and rates, but have chosen not to transport kids on a regular basis anymore. I was fully prepared to lose some clientele, as a month is a long time to find alternate care. I will not be charging anyone to hold a spot, as it is my choice to close down. I have asked all my parents to be upfront with me, because I will need to advertise for those spaces over the summer if they are choosing not to come back!
    Amazingly enough, it looks like ALL of my families will be back. I was very pleased. There is only one "maybe" that I will be finalizing this week with a definite answer. I have made sure that I have back-up plans in place should I go into labor sooner (or much, much later) than anticipated. But all the parents I have are incredible and I hope would be understanding if there was an emergency-type scenario.
    I hope that a month will be long enough, but the beauty of this job is; if I answer the door in my pajamas, it's my prerogative!!!

Dreamtree
    Thanks for the info mom-in-alberta! Yes, I have been discussing "a plan" with my husband. We are just thinking about all the details because I like to plan ahead, especially when it involves the daycare. I appreciate all the info and advice I can get! Congratulations!

Expansive...
    I would approach it the same way I would approach it with a boss or a colleague at an office job. I would not tell without a plan. Having a plan shows the parents that you are serious about everything and have things under control. here is another thread in which we discussed some of the particulars about providing care during pregnancy

I told my parents a couple weeks ago (I"m 13 weeks now) as I was showing already... a few of them had noticed!! I did lose 1 famiy, but I hadnt started with them yet, and honestly, it works out better for me anyways so I'm not too upset. I;m due Jan 16th and said I'd take the month of Jan off (I figured I couldnt do the school run in Jan anyways and since most of my kids are school age...) however, my sister just had her 3rd and a month later had life threatening complications (retained placenta, massive hemoraging, ambulance to the hx etc)... kinda freaked me out and got me thinking... I've decided to take Jan and Feb off. If things go as well as my first 2 preg/lab/del then I'd be ok, but I'm older now and who knows right? If everything goes smoothly, well then lucky for me, I have a bit of extra time to get used to my new baby, but if things dont go the same way (even if its just that I have to have a c section this time and need more time to recover) I'd rather my families be taken care of then have to scramble if I have an unexpected situiation!

BTW-my sister is ok!

Euphoric !
    I had my first interview yesterday for a child coming from another daycare provider that is taking a years mat leave. She has been paying into EI as a self-employed person and taking off at least from Christmas till next September. My baby days are long past but it is something worth looking into for those just starting families or I guess thinking about starting families since you need to pay in for awhile before you can claim.