Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Law Regarding buying Canadian over US

I was told today by a sales lady (dealer) here in Ottawa, that if I bought equipment from the US and something happens to a child, I could be facing charges. But if the equipment as sold in Canada (either Canadian made or through a dealer) and something happens then I am covered. Anyone heard of this?

Euphoric !
    All I know is your not allowed to have American car seats and you can get a ticket (I think) if you have one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

I heard about the car seat. I am looking for a quad stroller. I have never heard anything about buying a stroller from the US, but that doesn't mean their isn't anything.

Euphoric !
    Basically the item has to be approved for use in Canada as in meet canadian standards. Where you buy it from isn't as important as it having canadian approval and there should be a sticker on it but maybe only if it is actually bought in Canada. Personally I wouldnt' think there would be an issue with the quad strollers if the model you buy is approved for sale in canada. Car seats yes there are different standards and cribs maybe too as in the approval sticker isn't there. Those are the two most regulated items.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Thank you Blue Rose, I didn't know this.

I wasn't sure if the lady was just B.S.ing me to get me to buy from her or if she was telling me the truth. I think Playfelt might be right, it makes the most cents to me. I am not planning on buying from this woman anyways, wasn't happy with the way she spoke to me over all.
    Basically the item has to be approved for use in Canada as in meet canadian standards. Where you buy it from isn't as important as it having canadian approval and there should be a sticker on it but maybe only if it is actually bought in Canada. Personally I wouldnt' think there would be an issue with the quad strollers if the model you buy is approved for sale in canada. Car seats yes there are different standards and cribs maybe too as in the approval sticker isn't there. Those are the two most regulated items.

Outgoing
    that makes no sense at all and I think she was bsing you. I have hear of the carseat, and its the sticker that they are looking for. And if you get into a car accident you can't get a replacement on your carseat if its american, as for a ticket, nope you don't get one (I know some will say you do but you don't)

Euphoric !
    Since you are in Ottawa what about contacting allaboutkids and talking to someone there about what you have heard with the idea of what proof will what you buy from them have to show that it is approved for use in Canada or does it matter not letting on of course you will buy direct from US if they say it doesn't matter. The other place to talk to them about the importing issue would be kiddytown and see what they say. Going to assume it might have been either of these that you were already talking to but try the other to see what they say. In other words it isn't just their word you are looking for but what sticker, notice, manual etc is going to prove that it is legit for use in Canada. In some cases the only reason a product is banned is because the instruction manual is in English only with no French translation - since I don't speak French who cares.

Expansive...
    For car seats it must be Canadian approved and for strollers I would check out the health canada site to make sure it's approved: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/...mation-eng.php

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I just checked that site for strollers (thank you Skysue for the link) and it says the stroller must have instructions in both English and French. Give me a break... I was thinking about getting a runabout from the US, but I guess I'll have to find out if they will include the instructions and warnings in French first. Sheesh....