Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Double check your insurance

Hey everyone,

In my own quest to find coverage I am finding a lot of the companies that are telling me they don't cover more then 5 even after people on here have advised me this is the coverage they have. I don't know if it is a misunderstanding with the broker/insurer and they are misinforming people or on the daycare providers end but it seems some people may be under the impression they have coverage when they do not.

I called one insurance company that was recommended by someone and the woman clearly told me that they only do 5 kids total. She even double checked for me and asked me to let the provider know they aren't covered for 5+ their own kids as they thought. Just a warning and maybe some of us should double check with our carriers as a lot of them are adopting the 5 kids total policy.

The only 2 companies I found that would cover 5 + my own was Wawnessa and Gore. TD would do 6 kids total. Don't want to cause a panic, just want people to be covered if something were to happen.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Is it possible that those that already had coverage are grandfathered in and therefore not losing their coverage but the new rules are that they won't cover new daycares.

Expansive...
    Worth double checking either way I think...

Euphoric !
    I asked her that and she didn't know. I think some companies must grandfather you in. Also it seems to depend on the branch as well. Some All States will do it, others won't.

Outgoing
    why are you having more than 5 kids, I thought you can only have 5 kids (even thou I swear I read we can have 6 kids) and that doesn't include our own

Trace of Angels
    Can I still pose the question though and what are your thoughts, but why do we need insurance for our own children? Who is going to sue us if something happens to our own child? I mean I am covered as far as I know for the 6 kids I have during the day but I just don't understand. Did you ever ask this question Torontokids. I would be curious as to the reason but not curious enough to wait on the phone for 5-10 minutes LOL but just wondering has anyone ever asked this????

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trace of Angels For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by momofnerds View Post
    why are you having more than 5 kids, I thought you can only have 5 kids (even thou I swear I read we can have 6 kids) and that doesn't include our own
    I can have 5 plus my kids. I think I will only take a max of 4 plus my kids but just in case I decide to later take 5

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Trace of Angels View Post
    Can I still pose the question though and what are your thoughts, but why do we need insurance for our own children? Who is going to sue us if something happens to our own child? I mean I am covered as far as I know for the 6 kids I have during the day but I just don't undeurstand. Did you ever ask this question Torontokids. I would be curious as to the reason but not curious enough to wait on the phone for 5-10 minutes LOL but just wondering has anyone ever asked this????
    I have asked this and they never really answered it, just laughed. I think it has to do with the increased risk the more kids you are watching regardless if they are your or not

Euphoric !
    I have wondered why my own kids mattered too in the sense that I already have a policy for insurance that covers them no matter where they are or what they are doing or whether they are with me or someone else such as school or grandparents or the park or whatever.

It could also be the other way around in the sense that if you are busy watching your own 2-3 children then your degree of attention to the daycare children is more limited and therefore they limit the number of extra children they will cover. Therefore it isn't that your own children are covered by the daycare policy but the policy will only cover a few more based on the fact there are already 2 -3 kids in the home.